Votes: 15 48.4%
  • bury it

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • don't know

Votes: 6 19.4%

$260,000 missing what would you do?

2K views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  zonk 
#1 ·
IN eastern Iowa armoured car drop $320,000 along I-80, $260,000 still missing in $20.00 bills traceable. Offer of amnesty runs out 4:00pm sat.What would you do? Turn it in,keep it, bury it for 50 years ?

#3 ·
Unless those are brand new $20'S they are going to be hard to trace. No consecutive serial numbers just random numbers. Someone may retire earily and move around the country seeing the sights. Maybe its and inside job and the guards split the cash!!

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!

#4 ·
I'd be figuring out what it costs to build that Slammed Chopped Merc with the LS6, Plush interior & Cold AC that I dream about building.

Now I know that Karma is a BI___, but hopefully it would belong to a crooked bank or a cigarrette company or something.

#6 ·
Mattress money for when you are having trouble making ends meet.
I used to have a little old lady come into the bank I worked in to pay her bills. She didn't have an account, just used to come in every month to pay her bills with crisp, new bills minted in 1945. They looked like they were ironed and I can guarantee they never saw the light of day until she needed to pay her bills. We called her the Mattress Money Queen.

:p

Chickie.

#8 ·
I would have to turn it in. I could never truly enjoy what I spent it on. What's worse, if I did keep it and got caught, I would find it very difficult to face my kids. I've been teaching them that the only way to live their lives is honestly. Nope, the cost of getting nailed is way too high for me. But, it sure would be tempting... :evil:

#13 · (Edited)
I think I'd lay low for maybe a year and put a few "feelers" out.. First I'd drop an anonymous $10,000 cash political campaign contribution in the mail addressed to the Arnold Swarzenegger for California Governor Committee. Then I'd send Larry Flynt a paper sack full of 20's to help dig up dirt on Gary Colman. If those two deals panned out and didn't get any negative press, I'd pay cash for one of those killer Cali. street rods and drive it home, VIA Omaha, with a [mostly] clear conscience. ;)

With a Power Tour like that, who needs HRM? It'd be champaign brunch for lunch and prime rib for dinner all the way home - forget the raffle. :D

#17 ·
First,I doubt that the twenties are traceable. The fact that they are floating that story in an effort to scare the people to turn it would make me WANT to keep it just for principles (I hate liars). But I would turn it in, because that's the way I was raised and the way I raised my kids.:)

#18 ·
My alibi is air tight ( I wasn't there) I'm in central Iowa, however they did stop and arrest two people later that day it happened that took some money and ran, I don't know ,I would probably turn it in,however someone having some rough times it would be tempting. :spank:

#20 ·
Same thing happened here in Ohio a few years back. The rear door on the armored car popped open and over $100,000 dropped out. Total chaos on the interstate. They had pics and put a bulletin out on the news that they had everyones license number off of their car. Well that didn't work. Only a few of the many turned in the money. They got a small reward. The insurance of the armored car company had to pay off the rest. The ones that didn't turn it in got away with it. Funny thing is my buddy that lived in Columbus showed up the next day with over $14,000 in cash. He stated his brother was on the interstate at the time and that was some of the money. I don't know whether it was or wasn't but who knows. I know if it was me and I was in that position I would have one heck of a time sleeping at night. $260,000 would solve many, many, problems but then again I am an honest person. I guess I'm glad I'm poor so I don't have all of those money worries.

Kevin

#21 ·
Were the bills new? If there were they are in fact tracable as the serial numbers are consecutive and the federal reserve knows exactly which ones are issued and what armored truck they were put on for deliverly. I would turn it in even if there was not a reward just so that I could sleep at night. Just my $260,000 worth (2cents).

#22 ·
this one time, when i was in nursing school......

there was a story on the news, about two guys driving an armored truck, they just disappeared..... gone..... vanished......
with a few million dollars......

i thought to myself, 'if i can get into nursing school, i guarantee i could get a job driving an armored car'....... but alas, i did indeed make it through school:( ..... not a bad plan for retirement though, it's got federal benefits:mwink:....

#23 ·
TURN IT IN!!! WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!

A person would live the rest of their life looking over their shoulder and wondering if they were coming to get em today.

no amount of money is worth that!

I was in a simular situation, I came across $87,000.00 in cash, no way to trace it, its a long story... anyway I turned it over to proper authorities. I have never regreted that, and I sleep well at night.

WHAT WE DO TODAY, WE MUST LIVE WITH TOMMOROW.

#25 ·
I was down I-80 twice this weekend, zonk, and the trunk of the J is really small.... I'm building a 30x50 garage just down the street- when it's up I'll pm ya..... hope the new account in Switzerland is working as good for you as it is for me....!!! LOL!!!!! (really I am buliding the garage, but, alas! , no help from the armored car fiasco- did you also hear that earlier this year the same company serviced an ATM at a WalMart in DsMns and left a sack of $8000 on the top of the machine???)- security found it- why are we never in the right place at the right time???!!! (JOKIN"!)

#26 ·
Sorry, I'd turn it in. Money dosen't tempt me if it's not mine. However if I find it and I honestly don't know who it belongs to. I'd try to find out then if no one claimed it, I'd keep it.
A truck came by my house one day and lost a plastic milk box full of tools and accessories (like drill bits and saw blades). I tried to find them with no luck and then put an ad in the paper. 2 Calls and none could describe them so I have some new tools. I still felt guilty about keeping them and it was a year or more before I started to use them. But hey, I honestly tried to find the owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.