Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 260 HP or 290 HP GM Crate motor
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 06:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

260 HP or 290 HP GM Crate motor

My '76 El Camino SS needs a new motor. Her 350 (w/ 305 heads) has a dead hole (bad comp rings) & is overpressurizing the crankcase (very messy). She currently has a rebuilt TH350 and a non-posi 2:73 rear end. I have a new exhaust system w/ a new set of Hedman Elite Hedders, "H" pipe, 2 1/2 " pipe w/ Flowmasters. I also have a new Weiand Action+ intake and a new Edelbrock 600 cfm performer carb already on my sick motor. Because of these parts I don't want to switch over to Vortec heads, but I still want the best bang for the buck. Our local Chevy dealer has Goodwrench 260 hp crate motors for $1365 (+ core) and GM Performance 290 hp crate motors for $1745 (no core). The 260 hp motor comes with a 3 yr warranty and the 290 comes with only 1 yr. Is the 290 hp motor worth the extra bucks? My big 2 ton girl sure needs the extra grunt to move her large behind w/ those high gears. Thoughts? I really don't want to throw big bucks into a rig that is my daily driver (sport utility) and not worth the price of an Edelbrock crate motor.