Hot Rod Forum banner

260 V8 Motor Mount Troubles in 65 Mustang

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Actionjk 
#1 ·
We have recently installed a 260 V8 engine into a 1965 Mustang coupe. The numbers indicate that the motor would have originally fit into a 1962 Fairlane. We were told, upon buying the motor that it was donated to my previous High School school by Ford Motor Company and had never been in a car. Anyhow, the motor sits too high in the car for the hood to shut. I can't find motor mounts to fit. The engine motor mount holes are centered 6 inches apart. All we have found, so far are mounts with 7 inch holes. We modified them by drilling holes and still can't get enough clearance for a breather to fit and shut the hood and I don't have a lot of room to lower the engine. Any suggestions how to make this work? How/ where do I find the right motor mounts? We've tried 6 sets and haven't found any with 6 inch centered holes.

#2 ·
The second version of the Windsor, introduced during the middle of the 1962 model year, had a larger bore of 3.80 in (96.5 mm), increasing displacement to 260 cu in (4.3 L). Compression ratio was raised fractionally to 8.8:1. The engine was slightly heavier than the 221, at 482 lb (219 kg). Rated power (still SAE gross) rose to 164 hp (122 kW) @ 4400 rpm, with a peak torque of 258 lb·ft (350 N·m) @ 2200 rpm.
In 1962 and 1963 valve diameters remained the same as the 221, but starting in 1964 they were enlarged to 1.67 in. (42.4 mm) (intake) and 1.45 in (36.8 mm) (exhaust). Rated power was not changed.
In 1963 the 260 became the base engine on full-size Ford sedans. Later in the model year its availability was expanded to the Ford Falcon and Mercury Comet. The early "1964½" Ford Mustang also offered the 260, although it was dropped by mid-year, as did the 1964-1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk I. The 1967 Sunbeam Tiger Mk II used the 289 CID V8 (see 289).
The special rally version of the Falcon and Comet and early AC Cobra sports cars used a high-performance version of the 260 with higher compression, hotter camshaft timing, and a four-barrel carburetor. This engine was rated (SAE gross) 260 hp (194 kW) @ 5800 rpm and 269 lb·ft (365 N·m) @ 4800 rpm.
Ford dropped the 260 after the 1964 model year.

#3 ·
Take a look at Home Page - Dea Products Inc. - Engine And Transmission Mounts - Center Supports - Strut Plates. You may have an apple and orange syndrome problem and you may just have to make up something using a combo of the Fairlane and Mustang as they are not similar according to the DEA website. As Killer noted, that 260 engine is an oddball now though supposedly if you look at the Rock Auto Parts website, they were supposed to be the same --- but Ford did some strange combo things with parts in the past. I have run into problems on my Fords with motor and transmission mounts.

Gotta ask - why are you using that beyond obsolete engine when a 302 would run a lot easier even as a daily driver or even a 289 if you had a 5 bolt transmission problem.

Of course, some of this is just my opinion:D

#4 ·
Well, I've just had the motor for a long time (got it in High School), and just honestly wasn't aware of how oddball , obsolete it was. I've already got a lot of money into rebuilding the motor and would like to use if possible. Can you give me a possible scenario that would work. Maybe Fairlane mounts and Mustangs stands?

#5 ·
Since '62 was the first year of the 'W' design, way many changes were made over the years to the last which was a 302/5.0L in an Explorer in '99, to be 100% or even 50% definitive.

Since it sounds like you have a way to fairly easily move it around in the engine compartment, I suggest that you bolt it up to the transmission. Once that's done, check it for level at the carb. Since you don't have any weight on the front suspension, you will have to level the car to normal ride height. From that point you will need to measure from either a modified motor mount or use that reference I gave you and fab something up.

My method would be to use a piece of 1/4" cold rolled steel, bolted to the engine. I would run a Grade 8 bolt, 7/16 through it and through a doughnut mount, i.e. like some of the early Chevys (p/n A2122 or A2123) to a frame mount. If you can't find one to fit the Mustang, you can use some more of that 1/4" steel - it looks to be not much more then a platform. It can either be bent or welded.

There are ways around this but sometimes you just have to make something out of raw stock when off the shelf isn't there. I'm guessing that Ford made a casting change somewhere and yours wasn't among the later version. If you make up your own, make sure your exhaust will still clear. The photo below shows you where the later mount cast in bosses are (my 1999 block):

I don't have and can't get the actual measurements - sorry, the engine is in the car now but do use a '69 Torino motor mount in my '31 Ford.

#7 ·
Ireland's Child, I think our current set up includes a modification similar to what you have described. If you look at the pictures in the thread "Question about a Carburetor"... that' is the top of my engine and carburetor.

Ericnova72,
No, it's currently on V8 stands. Originally I had a 200 straight 6 in the car and the bolt holes lined up perfectly with this 260 V8. It still stood up way too high. Back when I was in high school, we just remedied that by cutting the breather in half. I've been restoring the car again and don't want something half-way done this time.

#9 ·
OK - the engine is in - is the carb mounting flange level? If so - pull that spacer - it's probably a combined carb heat and a mish-mash kind of EGR which probably will not do your performance any favors (I've never seen that intake before and I cut my eye teeth on that vintage Ford though mostly full size or Fairlane. You may have to play with the choke some.

Now, this, mostly my curiosity - when you went from the 6 to the V8, did you change to V8 suspension and the differential to an 8" along with 5 lug wheels and a bit larger brakes? There were some other strengthening pieces also, but don't recall where they all were.

#10 · (Edited)
motor mounts

When I put a 302 in my little ranger pickup I used Maverick motor mounts . they use ( pin ) bolts fore and aft I made my own frame brackets. I have read that 5.0 convertible mounts ae different and have one mounting stud down at an angle.
from the Rangerstation forum
It has been said in our forums that a 1985-1993 Ford Mustang Convertible 5.0L engine mount will work for this conversion. Swap the mounts to opposite sides (Left-Right). The convertible engine mounts and hardtop engine mounts are not the same. The 5.0L Ford Mustang Convertible was actually built on a 4-cylinder Mustang chassis.

The 1994-1995 Ford Mustang GT uses the same engine mount

#11 ·
221-260-early 65 289 engines had differences

5 bolt bell housings
different motormount hole spacing.

(edit)----narrower block----uses different clutch linkage

But I don't think there was anything else.

So if you are putting the engine in a 65 Mustang---need to get stuff
for a 64-1/2 mustang or very early 65

There were other strange things about the earlier engines that just don't seem right as well.

Ford also deemed it necessary to change the motorplate and starter face size mid year 65.

A 65 Falcon v-8 4-sd starter will not fit my 65 with the original trans and engine plate-----------but a 64 will fit.

Six bolt engine plate and bell----small starter hole:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.