27 T Roadster Build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 07:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

27 T Roadster Build

Well i havent been here in a couple years so i figured id post up some pics of my new project. Bought it a little before christmas and im trying to make the jalopy showdown in the middle of may but itll be real close.

Well i got the roadster from Andy up in buffalo about 2 weeks ago and been hitting it hard. Cleaned up the 27 chevy frame, cut out the cross members and pinched the rails to follow the T body and subrails better. Powering it is a 216 i had laying around. Up front will be a '38 axle with '40 backing plates, and out back a '54 Chevy rear with a shortened torque tube. Still waiting on some parts to arrive, hoping to have it ready for the Showdown in may. At this pace, it shouldnt be a problem. Hope you all like what ive done so far and check back often since ill be updating about once a week. John

These are the ones i took before any real work started but i will have more up soon.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

And i had some time to kill last night so i made a shifter for it. It was an old 3 speed indy shifter that i got with a truck. Bent the arms flat so they bolt to the side of the case and welded everything solid. Then cut the arm down and went out back and got the shifter off the 38 dump i have. Welded it up and it turned out great. Just need to wait until the motor is set in so i can get the final bends right.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

Well the snow this past month has been killing me so i havent had time to head out to the barn to get work done. But things have eased up and had time this weekend and a few nights during the week to get more done. First thing was widen the front crossmember to fit the spring. Got that done and all cleaned up, looks stock and thats good for me. THen got the front motor mount done and turned out great. Real simple and strong. And this past weekend, got the steering box mounted and cut out a crossmember out of the dump truck to use as a mount for the ball of the radius rod. Next im tring to figure out how to mount a set of pedals and a trans mount. Just need to get the steel for it. Hopefully thatll be dont this weekend and then off to getting the rear set in. Hope you like what ive done so far.

Hump in the frame for the steering box

Radius rod mount

Widened crossmember and motor mount

Still need to add some gussets and final weld everything but its looking good so far
Old 03-31-2011, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

Well time for another update... I had some time this weekend and cut some pieces of channel i had bent up to fit in the frame rails for a crossmember to mount the trans and pedals off of. Its all just tacked right now and a little crude but i just want to make sure everything fits and wont have any issues before its blasted and welded solid. And last night, i took some time to mount the rear in the car. Its a torque tube axle out of a 54 chevy. I cut the stock perches off a junk model a rear end i had laying around and used those to mount the spring. The frame rails need to get trimmed cause the spring hits on the bottom side of the rail. But ill wait on that since i want to get the rear section of the frame boxed. Just waiting on a couple little things and this chassis will be ready for blasting, welding and then paint =)

Let me know what you think. John

Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

She's a roller!!! Finally got my adapter plates from speedway for the rear and shortened the torque tube last night. It ended up being so much easier than i thought it would be. We took a couple measurements and then it was time to start cutting. We pulled the cuts out of it so it was just the center section with tube. Cut the tube off with a band saw, cut the tube out of the center section with a torch and then cut the tube to length. Once all that was done it was time for reassembly, thats when it got fun. So it was time to fire up the torch and heat up the center section and stuck that and the outer tube in a 60ton press. After lots of creaking cracking and popping it was all one piece again. Now its time to cut the inner shaft which will be even easier. Its a hollow tube, so we cut the splined shaft of nice and square with a pipe cutter and chucked it up in the lathe to get the rest of the tube off where the spines where pressed and welded in. So now the tube needs to get cut down and the end can get pressed back in and welded. And i also got the trans crossmember in. Used some 57 chevy rubber donuts and stock 27 chevy motor mount that was modified to fit the trans. I think thats it for now. In the next week or two i hope to get everything blasted and get cracking on welding up the chassis solid since it seems everything fits just the way it should. Well i think thats it for this week.

Trans mount using old crap laying around in the scrap barrel and pile outside

30 chevy firewall cut and tacked in

And the torque tube and rear in

Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

Just have a little update tonight. Been busting *** when ive had a chance, other things have gotten in the way as always. But i tore the entire body apart so i can blast the subrails which are really rotten but im ready to repair all that. And i took off a day from work and blasted and primed a whole pile of parts. Today i picked up a new toy and after that got to working on making some gussets/body mounts for the frame, fixing the f'ed up bends on the crossmember. Also modified the arms on the pedals and mounted the master cylinder. Hope you like what ive done. May 14th is getting mighty close but i think i can still make it =).

My new toy in its place, just waiting for time to rum power over to it and wire it up

Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Well this weekends project is pretty much all done. Fixed the subrails that were all rotten out. It wasnt very hard but took one hell of a long time to do with all the fitting and grinding. New to old steel was welded with a torch and new to new was all mig since i was running out of welding rod haha. And during the week, i got the motor torn down and regasketed the whole thing today after i washed it down and degreased it. So this week i should be ready for some epoxy and chevy grey. So now the motor will be all done and ready to go in. Its not much but a major chunk of the time consuming work is done.

and this is how you shouldnt load your trailer. It made for a fun 5 mile ride to the scrap yard but made me enough money to buy the rest of my patches for my car and maybe a pair of tires.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Just a little update this week. 3 days of snow has slowed me down. But i finished up the rear part of the subrails this week. Finished welding up the chassis, got the rear boxing plates welded in. Also made some headlight mounts but they need to be tweaked a bit, still too close to the grill shell. And i got the cowl blasted and my buddy hammer welded the patches in and fixed the top of the cowl were it was pushed in under the windshield posts. Im getting there slowly but the weather is screwing me up. Spring is here but winter doesnt want to leave.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

nice project. Are you really going to use that old single master cylinder

Chet
Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, im using that one. I know i know, i should use a dual master but this car probably wont see as much of the street as it should.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

Wow, I realized i haven't been on here in a few months. Got most of the car finished in may and then crapped out over the summer, too much real job and not enough time. So this is what i got done since i posted last.

Heres some more photos. Been busting *** the last week but it still hasnt been enough. Got the rear end all together and a bunch more parts painted along with making linkages.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Heres some stuff ive gotten done this past week. Been pretty busy otherwise so i havent gotten much done since i last posted.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Well i finally got a nice day to take some shots outside while i cleaned out the barn. Hope you guys like how its turning out.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:04 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

That '27 is just so over the top cool, I don't know how I missed this build thread back in the end of March. I must of been asleep at the keyboard. Congrats on a fine and unique build. Hot rods should have at least 3 pedals, and in the case of a truly nostalgia build like yours, 4 pedals!!! Got to engage that old starter motor.

Bob

Last edited by deckofficer; 12-11-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

I agree with deckofficer!

I too am surprised I didn't see this great build thread when it began. I just found it today and am excited to see your unique build. I look forward to your updates.

Great job!!! ENJOY!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.