Hot Rod Forum banner

272 powerpack?

4K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  madison069 
#1 ·
Have any of ya'll heard of a 272 powerpack? From the look of the motor it has a single barrel carb with red valve cover with the v8 logo on it. i seen alot of these cover but not red?!?

anyway this fella came to our house yesterday and said he knows all about these cars (it is a all original 1955 customline 2 door post) it got a 272 and a ford-o-matic tranny. he said this is a powerpack 272 and they are rare. can anyone vouche about a rare 272 powerpack??

oh and here is a pic of the car my battery died before i could get interior pics and motor pics.

thanks for your help, this is my dad's future hotrod.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Hmm, my cousin has a 55 fairlane that I have been trying to get him to get serious on. It has a 272 in it, at least that's what he thinks it is from when he was trying to look it up.

It has a 4bbl intake on it, but not the origonal carb, it's just got a 650 holley I gave him a long time ago.

But the intake looks to be on there from day one though.

What's the chances of this thing being of the same rareness too?

PS, not trying to hijack this post, these cars are just too cool.

heres a pic of the car, not as clean as the other guys though, lol. This is what it looked like a few months ago before he put it in the garage and started working on it.

#5 ·
skeeveman said:
Hmm, my cousin has a 55 fairlane that I have been trying to get him to get serious on. It has a 272 in it, at least that's what he thinks it is from when he was trying to look it up.

It has a 4bbl intake on it, but not the origonal carb, it's just got a 650 holley I gave him a long time ago.

But the intake looks to be on there from day one though.

What's the chances of this thing being of the same rareness too?
I don't think it is a question of the engine being so rare rather than unique in that it was FORD'S reply the the SBC 265CI 180HP POWER PACK. The 272 (2V) was the base engine for 1955 with the THUNDERBIRD 292 (and POLICE version) being optional. THE 272 4V was available on assembly and as a list of service replacement parts to upgrade the first 272's to POWER PACK.

You say yours has a later HOLLEY mounted? Did you have to use an adaptor? The origional HOLLEY had the small base mounting pattern same as the WCFB.

#6 ·
when we threw my holley on it, it didnt need an adapter. But the old one was an oddball looking holley though, had dual feed lines like a holley, but it didnt have removable bowls on it, the top of it came off like a carter. So there are no gaskets below the bowls. Does that help ya out any?

#10 ·
Max Keith said:
That engine origionally came out with an old HayStack Holley, which was so called due to the oddball shape of the carb, having a sort of a dome over the top of the venturies.

I think the last of the HayStacks were used in 57.
;)

Yeah, 1957. The story was the carb could not be used on the 57 as the hood line was dropped, but I had a 312 that had one on it (And also the E-CODE engine come to think about it).

As for the nickname, also the TEAPOT...Or the one I like best was THE TOWERING INFERNO as they had a tendency to self ignite, especially on 8V aplications.

As for the casting I.D., it should be in a series of letter, like ECZ 9425 B or something similiar.

#15 · (Edited)
skeeveman said:
I checked it out last night, and got this, ecz-9425-b, same as you posted. What exactly does that tell me so far?
ECZ denotes 1957 model year so someone has previously upgraded the intake (57 up allows the wide base carbs) and hopefully the distributor ( 57 up is mechanical/vacuum advance instead of the old LOAD-A-MATIC). The 54/56 intakes only took the small base WCFB or 4000 HOLLEY.

-Y-BLOCK INFORMATION-

Look at the menu bar on the left and you will see how to identify the block and heads to see if it is origional.

What are your plans for it?

#16 ·
lincon Yblock

Hi i have been racing Fords Mercs and Lincolns since high school and i am 58 years old , i have never seen a Power Pack 272 , but i have heard alot about them , such as the Heads are different in the intake passage and when ported they flow the best of all Yblock heads , i talked to a guy with Jack Chrismans Comet Funny car and he used these heads on his 57 Factory Blown 312 ford , He had to post them to keep headgaskets from blowing, he swore by these heads , Dont sell the 272 Yblock Short , we put a 312 intake with Afb carb on a 56 272 in a 54 sedan and beat a 64 comet cyclone with in in the 1/4 mile , There is a GOOD YBLOCK Club you can join for info , magazine and parts yblockmag@yahoo.com ph815 433 1393 . they are making single 4barrel allum intakes, water pumps and working on heads plus repop 57 312 blower brackets pullys ect , the only down side to the yblock ford is the Tshaped Soilid lifters , you have to pull the cam to get them out, i race the Linc Yblocks and they use a 390 FE lifter , hope this helps . Rick Martin Hydromatic

#17 ·
madison069 said:
Have any of ya'll heard of a 272 powerpack? From the look of the motor it has a single barrel carb with red valve cover with the v8 logo on it. i seen alot of these cover but not red?!?

Gary covered most of it, but didn't mention the carb. You are looking at a 2bbl with a single opening in the top...I would guess. I don't think that any Ford V8 since an early flathead came with a single barrel carb... I'm not even sure they came with on although I vaguely recall one in '32-'34 era...maybe a V8-60.

#19 ·
the carb that is on the motor don't look like that one, here is a pic of the motor and tranny,

it's a 2 barrel though.

Anyone interested in this motor and tranny though? we decided not to go with this combo, it is the orginal motor and tranny for this car so if you need a period correct motor come check it out!

#20 ·
That is no Power Pack Option-

Beginning with the 1954 V-8, Ford had offered a "Power Pack" option with high-compression heads, four-barrel carburetor with automatic choke, and dual exhausts. Predictably, it developed a taste for premium fuel. In 1955, for $35 above the $100 cost of the base V-8, this package had higher 8.5:1 compression and a four-barrel carb, raising the horsepower to 182 -- but was available only with Fordomatic. Dual exhausts were standard on all Fairlane V-8s.
Excerpt From- http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1955-1956-ford-fairlane-crown-victoria3.htm

#21 · (Edited)
madison069 said:
the carb that is on the motor don't look like that one, here is a pic of the motor and tranny,

it's a 2 barrel though.

Anyone interested in this motor and tranny though? we decided not to go with this combo, it is the orginal motor and tranny for this car so if you need a period correct motor come check it out!
The carb is a Ford 94, 2 barrel.

Bogie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.