28/29 vs. 32 roadster - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 01:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

28/29 vs. 32 roadster

Hello everyone, I am new to the bulletin board so Hello again.
I am a newbie to rodding and none of my friends have any roadsters so I am going to pick your guys's brains. I am thinking of starting a build next year so I am just doing some research. I have been going to shows and reading some books on hotrod building and I have an idea of what I want. I realy like the 32 coupe, as do many. I know one should build what one likes but then the budget comes into play. I have been thinking around 20-25K for new parts and running hopefully a lot less. This is still a little high for me but just may be possible. Thats not including paint and interior.

I have seen that www.brookvilleroadster.com has a 28/29 model A for around 6k+, but the 32 roadster is around 10.5K+. Why the big difference?

This my plan:

chassis - http://www.so-calspeedshop.com/index2.html 32 roadster
around 3k

front suspension - www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com they have a complete front end ( basic no chrome ) including disc brakes for around $1700

rear end - http://www.so-calspeedshop.com/index2.html 9" the ladder bars with Posies springs.1500 - 2000? may be more including the gears. What size gears would you guys say? including drum brakes.

engine - http://www.enginefactory.com/ ,
http://www.enginefactory.com/350hp.htm I am thinking a small block Chevy with 350hp turn key motor give or take 5k. Any one ever use this company?

Transmission - http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...29&prmenbr=361 around 2-3k with clutch and housing

body - http://www.limeworksspeedshop.com/in...wse&pageid=101 around 9k.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK, AM I OUT OF MY MIND? I know there are other odds and ends but this is the basics. LET ME HAVE IT I can take it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If thats what you want to do..go for it! Now you need to consider....Do you have adequate work space? Do you have all the tools and equipment that you need to build this? Now figure up a list and the cost on all of that and add it to the price of the car. It could get expensive.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:55 PM

I may be a little ignorant in what I may be getting into. I do have the space and tools, but not a lot of the know how in major fabrication. I wish I did know more about it, so I am just going to keep it simple. Maybe I am hoping that A will fit into B and that fit into C. Wishfull thinking? should I stop before I start?
Old 08-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Lost in the 60's

It will not be as easy as A goes into B ...but you can figure it out and learn as you go. Where theres a will theres a way. No rodder know how to do everything. Even the big boys on T-V have to hire experts, LOL. Go for it, what you don't know you can learn, get help from friends, on this board, read a lot, etc., etc.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:11 PM

Thanks, I know there will be bumps in the road. Maybe some minor modifications I can live with that. I know its a project and its going to have its ups and downs. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:24 PM

Hey Henry Highrise, I forgot to tell you that that is a nice ride you have. Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

It ALWAYS pays to have a plan........

I would suggest a small change in the plan.....I would just buy ALL my frame/suspension rolling chassis pieces from just one manufacturer. That way you KNOW everything should work.

Brookville makes a 32 style chassis to fit the Model A body they make.

A + B = car

I am biased.........see my avatar ........but a 32 Roadster sells for more money when finished than a Model A roadster. It is easier to sell also. The 32's ride better (longer wheelbase...stock). The 32 has a good bit more leg room, hip room and trunk space. The dash is also a LOT prettier. The fuel tank is easier. EVERYTHING is easier....because the 32 was designed for a V8. The Model A was not.The price is difference is small (when buying new reproduction metal) between the Model A and the 32.

IF you really want a 5 window coupe........Model A's 5 windows are vastly cheaper to buy than 32 5windows. The Ford Motor Company made on a little over 50 thousand 32 5 window coupes......and over 3 million Model A Fords.....so the supply is way different.

I have owned this all steel original Henry Ford 32 Roadster for over 25 years.......I like them with fenders, boards and bumpers.....now....but I had a 32 HiBoy for years too.....

Formulate your plan.and stick close to it.......after you get started...

DEUCE.......

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 08-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalroadster
Hello everyone, I am new to the bulletin board so Hello again.

I have seen that www.brookvilleroadster.com has a 28/29 model A for around 6k+, but the 32 roadster is around 10.5K+. Why the big difference?
Look at the bodies........a 32 body is a LOT more labor intensive to make and assemble. Longer, wider, and a lot more curves and reveals.

Quote:
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK, AM I OUT OF MY MIND? I know there are other odds and ends but this is the basics. LET ME HAVE IT I can take it.

YES......you are out of your mind.
Me too, and I do not want to be cured........

Old 08-12-2005, 07:36 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

socal,

I seem to have become HR.Com's resident advocate (or some might say "pain in the rear") for hand fabrication of your own body. Obviously, hand forming your own body isn't for everyone, but if you are on a tight budget it IS an option to consider. Click here http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...age=5&reverse=
to get an idea of what is possible in the $4,000-$5,000 range - for the entire car - chassis, drivetrain AND body.

Like I say, this is just food for thought. If you've got the $, then by all means stick with a manufactured body (by Henry or a repro).

Dewey
Old 08-13-2005, 11:05 AM

Hey cboy,
that car looks awesome! I hope it drives as good as it looks. I am not sure if I am up to the challenge on my first build, but it looks doable. May be a choice for the next one. I am glad you posted a lot of the steps and techniques. I am surely going to use it as a reference guide. Cboy do you have a lot of experience in fabrication, welding, body work?

Thanks again cboy
Old 08-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I am doing all my own fabrication of my chassis and body on mine..taking a lot more time than I had planned but then it keeps me off of the streets and out of the bars..

If one is not up to the fabrication part then I would go along with Deuce and either find a complete car which can be done or get a complete kit from someone..

Fabrication is really for someone who enjoys the I-did-it as much as anything..

I am not sure just what my finished budget will be but it is looking to be in the 5000 range for parts and materials..I think that is a real estimate..

Complete cars around here seem to be in the 20K to 30k price range..At least what I have seen lately..

OMT
Old 08-13-2005, 12:45 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Cboy do you have a lot of experience in fabrication, welding, body work?
No body work or metal fabrication experience at all going into this project. And only minimal welding skills (I learning stick welding on the farm where the general rule was...keep tacking on angle iron until the welds don't fall apart any more.) I did attempt a hand built fiberglass body about ten years ago and it was a dismal failure (and ugly to boot).

I think you can tell from my journal this was a real "shade tree" effort using techniques and skills ANYONE on this list can master - and many here have far exceeded. As Deuce so accurately said, we are ALL out of our minds when we get into this hobby. I was just nuts enough to tackle something (coach building) that many consider a mystery. Hopefully my journal proves that even those with only modest skills can create a reasonably cool hot rod body and not break the bank doing it.

Dewey
Old 08-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
I may be a little ignorant in what I may be getting into. I do have the space and tools, but not a lot of the know how in major fabrication. I wish I did know more about it, so I am just going to keep it simple.

Start out slowly.........buy a frame.........then a body.......ect.....

MOST of us do not have the skill to fabricate a body.......or the time.
I just retired and so NOW I have the time.........but have not developed the skills.... YET.. Every new project teaches me something.....

I prefer original Fords bodies....not reproductions.....for me ..........it is the feel, the history or something. Bringing something back for those days. ALL rodders have a little restorer in them.......some more than others.

I enjoy the HUNT....for old Ford parts and pieces. ....as much as working or the 32's or driving them. SO......for me...it is the best way. I have been working on/messing up cars since the early 60's.

Join in..........and have fun.......at your own skill level and grow from wherever it is ......

DEUCE......

Old 08-15-2005, 12:44 PM

Hey guys thanks for all your input. I am sure I am going to have a lot of questions to ask as I get started with it. One main thing that I have been hearing is that one should pace themselves. Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Lost in the 60's

By all means pace yourself. If you try to move too quick, you will make mistakes, take short cuts a, and wind up with a poor hot rod. Do not be in any hurry and do not compromise, wait untill you can get what you need to do it like you want it. Don't work on it if your not in the mood. Good luck with your project!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.