28" 30" Wheels & Tires Wanted - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2003, 07:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

28" 30" Wheels & Tires

I'm looking for information on the availability or supplier of large diameter wheels (any type of bolt pattern or offset) up in the 28" or 30" size range and what type of tires are available for this size wheel.
Has anyone gotten experience running this size wheel and tire on the road and what are the handling characteristics like?

Advertisement

Last edited by willysportscoupe; 10-11-2003 at 12:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2003, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

28 or 30" wheels................? Put down that crack pipe my friend....

Tony....
Old 10-14-2003, 01:18 PM

largest I have seen is by west coast choppers (Jesse JAmes).I think they were 25" Rims.
I think they were $1800 ea and rubber was $700 ea.
Unless your looking for monster truck tires and rims.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:43 PM

Found 26" Rims and 305/35x26 Tires

I have found 26" Rims with 305/35x26 Tires to suit which gives me 34.5" high, but still looking for bigger. Would like to find something with overall height of 40" so I'm still looking.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

40"!!!!!!!!!!!???????........ what are you building ?
Old 10-14-2003, 11:12 PM

Building what??

I'm building something that has VERY BIG wheels!!
Old 10-14-2003, 11:21 PM
www.airriderz.com

big rims

I have seen 28" rims on cars at our local " Hot August Nights" Cruise in Reno Nevada. I have also seen 30" rims on a hummer.......

good luck......
Old 10-15-2003, 10:54 AM

Last photo:

Re: Building what??

Quote:
Originally posted by willysportscoupe
I'm building something that has VERY BIG wheels!!

Old 10-15-2003, 11:23 PM

The only way to go bigger than 26's (there are manufacturers that make 28's and 30's for the Hummer/H2 market...but that's ALL that has a large enough wheel opening for the front wheels to turn side to side in) is to go to a custom OTR Truck Parts distributor. Semi's and other 'professional' vehicles use wheels up into the 60" size and beyond, depending on how much you want to spend. But you will get into some funny bolt patterns and there isn't much available for 'street-tread' tires.

Also, you are talking about trying to get into the 40's with your overall height....most tire manufacturers making products for the 22, 24, 26 and larger consumers know that there aren't many vehicles that have a 40" wheel opening, so they ATTEMPT to keep the OVERALL height under 34". Trying to find a 70-series 30" tire is going to be near-impossible with today's market.

I caution you against anything larger than 24's, though. My wife has 22's on her Eddie Bauer Expedition. The Expo has some very VERY large wheel openings, and I still had to clearance the fenders so she could turn the thing without tearing up the $340 apeice tires. I have helped mount larger wheels on different vehicles (putting anything larger than 22's on most vehicles requires body mod's for turning clearance) and, in most cases, the owner's CUT BACK to 18's or 20's after mounting 22's/24's because they just didn't look right. Only the most Behemouth of vehicles look right with 22/24 and larger wheels....Excursions, Yukon's, Navigators. And they only look right because of their large stock wheel openings. If you are contemlating putting some 20's or larger on a classic or antique vehicle, I think you'll be disappointed when you get done, as most of these vehicles came from the factory with 15's or 16's, thus their wheel openings are smaller-diameter which makes a 22 or 24 look horrendous. Serious Body Modifications would be required just for the LOOK, let-alone fucitonality.

If you are dead-set on getting something bigger than a 30", you can go to any modern machine shop with a multi-plane CNC machine and have them order you a Billet Aluminum, Steel or Titanium log in whatever diameter you want, and have them cut whatever width of wheel you want. Then you could go to a smaller tire manufacturer and have them build you a set of one-off tires for your new wheels. If you are lucky, one of the 'big-4' automobile manufacturers will produce a vehicle with large enough wheel openings to accomodate your new 'Brand-X' wheel and you can go into the marketing business.

If I were you, and I was serious about this, I'd get a router, a 4'X4' sheet of HDF Board, and some silver and black paint from Home Depot. I'd cut out two circles 24" in diameter and paint them silver, then call whatever tire manufacturer you plan on purchasing from and ask them what their 'loaded sidewall-height' is. Make two more circles at THAT diameter and paint them black. Figure up what your total width is for your tires, and use some dowels and wood screws to space your wooden 'wheels' that distance apart. Then, I'd put all of that under whatever your using for fenders and see if you can turn the wheels 120 degrees from straight forward, front and back without hitting your frame/fenders/steering components. If you can, then go bigger.

just my $0.02....

The 'hopper
Old 10-16-2003, 08:29 AM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last journal entry: My 81 Silverado(SourApple)
Last photo:

man youve gotta tell us what your building! ive never gotten out their to try it, but ive heard from many proffessionals that anything larger than an 18" gets too heavy, and the handling starts to skew, but depending on what your building you could compensate and make some of it up. but if performance isnt your goal, then id say try it.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:40 PM

Why the big tires

Because I'm building this vehicle from the ground up, it has been designed to fit and look ascetically pleasing with the big tires. Also the very big tires are only on the rear so I don't have the problem with the front steering clearance. We will fabricate the wheel rim, it is just the Tire I'm after.

My ideal "tire size" and "look" that I'm looking for (give or take an inch or so) is...

A Highway tread pattern (not to aggressive in the tread pattern)

Tread width of 12" to say 15"

Overall tire height of 40"

Side wall height of 6" (This is not to critical)

(this size tire will then fit a 28" rim)

Any leads to a custom tire fabricator would be appreciated.

Willysportscoupe (NO this is not a Willys I'm building)

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.