Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 283 with 305 heads
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsadler View Post
That is the way it was origionally but it did not want to even idle. Had to drive with two feet. We did set it to six and 12 and it did start but only once then it stalled and we could not get it started. does not seem to be timed right eather way, but tommorrow is another day.
Sorry when I first responded was just as we blew up a Porsche on the dyno. Things went from a quiet Starbucks sipping kind of day to where the F did I put the bottle of Jack Daniels.

Setting up the SBC when the marks are facing each other then both number 1 and 6 are at TDC but 1 is finishing exhaust and 6 is ready to fire. If you know this you just drop the distributor in with the rotor aligned to fire number 6. This doesn't change where the vacuum advance can is aimed. The crankshaft and camshaft will be aligned so there should be no problem with the valves hitting pistons unless you've got so much lift at the valve that they can't miss the pistons but this is a different issue.

If the engine is left in the position with the timing gear pip marks facing each other if the distributor is installed with the rotor aligned to number 1 the timing is 180 degrees out of phase. It may well start from here but will be weak, wanting to stall, will take revving to keep it going and will probably backfire with some significant force through the carb.

If you're timed to number one it may still prove problematic to get running especially with a larger cam I really can't say a whole lot about this, it just takes fiddling with the thing to finally get it settled in.

As a side note there have been miss marked gears over the years, itís always a good idea to at least rotate the engine a couple times to be sure the valve events and piston position and distributor/rotor positions occur where they should. Setting up with a degree wheel is the best way, but is probably overkill for engines that are not going racing, still it's darn definitive in locating where and when things are happening.

Bogie