Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 283 with 305 heads
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 01:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsadler View Post
I know there is no way when the dots are together no 1 is not at top dead center because |I can feel the valves touching the top when |I try to line up the marks. It might just be that I am 180 degrees out. Have to try again.
What you need to look for is that when the dots face each other, if you pull the crankshaft in the direction of rotation (clockwise when standing ahead of the timing case) number one should be at TDC and transitioning from exhaust to intake. So with little movement of the crank you should see the intake valve open as the piston desends. Also check number 6 at this same time, it should be on the power stroke with the valves closed, but the exhaust will start to open before Bottom Dead Center is reached.

If infact the pip marks when facing each other actually has number 1 ready to fire then it will be on the power stroke and 6 will be intaking.

If none of this is happening then the cam and crank are not coordinated and you've got other problems.

These days with so much stuff coming from parts unknown it is not uncommon anymore to find gears, cams, and cranks that are not indexed correctly so be prepared for totally off the wall results, it does happen.

Bogie