283 or 350 can o' worms - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

283 or 350 can o' worms

let me apologize first. i know asking this question is like asking "what kind of girl should I date"...good way to start a fight. but I gotta ask

I have recently traded for a 64 impala SS. cowl and data tags appear original, match the title, etc. it currently has a 283 code 3896944 which looks like a 67 vintage (not original motor). i believe it has a powerglide behind it but havent really had that much time. carb is Holley 600 vac sec double pump. intake appears to be pro products typhoon (edel rpm knock off). bone stock powerpak heads by the casting design on the end.

I also bought a 4 door non-ss 64 for parts. It has a 350 code 14093638 which looks like an 87-94 roller 2 or 4 bolt (dont know yet). has a turbo 350 behind it. carb is edelbrock 600 with an edelbrock 2101 performer. just got car this weekend so couldnt tell you a thing about internals yet. 416 heads off a 305 by the casting design - seems like someone was trying to ramp up compression or something.

Question for heated debate - in that this is a non #s matching car, what engine and trans would you use and why? what are the first upgrades you'd do on the engine you picked? i do plan on going back to original color (daytona blue) and trying to stay stock interior/exterior. but i do love a little head snap from the throttle. car will be used on long cruises, never at strip. i like a good low rumble and a "friendly engine experience".

all opinions greatly appreciated. trying to make some informed planning decisions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM

I'd use the 350 roller motor (if that is what it is) with a mild performance roller cam. Others may disagree, but I'd also toss the heads in favor of reworked Vortecs, or a set of performance heads (AFR comes quickly to mind - maybe the 180cc port volume to match your driving style.) Pistons and converter are other things to consider. The Typhoon intake should work with the AFRs, and others, but not so likely the Vortecs, making Vortec applications a bit more spendy.

PatM
Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

On a budget. Go with the 350 and turbo. The powerglides, stock, are not a neck snapper. Keep the 305 heads as they are modern gas compatible. You should get many trouble free crusin miles.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM

First question: What do you plan to "do" with the car? I'd ask the same question about the girl... If you want a hot date, that's one thing. Lookin' for a life-partner? Whole different thing... (:-

IMO, '64s are pretty cars. That's one of the few Chevys I ever owned (when I had a V-8 car), a 2-door hard top. They suffer from x-frame-itis, though. I've seen some potent ones, but they didn't "last". Eventually, the frames twist and the windshields crack. The carrier bearing is a rolling nightmare, too. Make it a 1-piece driveshaft if it hasn't been done already.

That being said, use the 350. It's a relatively heavy car and should have some torque. 283s are great little engines, but the operative word is "little". That "roller" 350 (rarely are later blocks 4-bolt unless they're in larger trucks, which also have forged cranks) can easily make 350 HP and 400 lbs. of torque. Use an aftermarket "torque" grind. The Performer intake is infiinitely preferable to the Typhoon for under 6,000. I'd look at a 650, though. We "like" AED Holleys for either performance or economy. They'll have something to suit your needs, and it will far out-perform the E-carb. Remember, "performance" means meeting your needs, not just a "hot rod".

I also agree 100%, use the TH350. We change them in early Camaros from PG and are instant "heroes". It drastically changes the character of the car, having a "low gear". 'glides make good "race" transmissions for lighter cars, but are far obsolete in anything other than a "numbers" car. A TH200-4R or TH700-R4 would be even better...

Jim
Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body View Post
IMO, '64s are pretty cars. That's one of the few Chevys I ever owned (when I had a V-8 car), a 2-door hard top. They suffer from x-frame-itis, though. I've seen some potent ones, but they didn't "last". Eventually, the frames twist and the windshields crack. The carrier bearing is a rolling nightmare, too. Make it a 1-piece driveshaft if it hasn't been done already.

Jim
The X frame isn't really a problem I've experienced. I ran a '61 with a 454 on slicks at the track for over 5 years and the frame held up fine. No broken windshields either. I cant say the same for the rear axles (junk). Used a two piece driveshaft too. The trick to making them live is not to tighten up the carrier bearing mounting bolts until you have the full weight of the car on the axle.
As far as engine choice, I'd use the 350 with a q jet and a 350 trans.
I have a 283 in my truck now. Summit 1102 cam and q jet. It's a decent cruiser that gets great mileage, but I bet a mild 350 would do the same.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:03 AM

Last photo:

Since you have 2 engines at your disposal; put the 305 heads on the 283, sell it and put the money towards some decent heads for your 350 like the Brodix IK180s, Dart SHPs or even AFR180s or GM Vortecs. Nicely done.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
let me apologize first. i know asking this question is like asking "what kind of girl should I date"...good way to start a fight. but I gotta ask

I have recently traded for a 64 impala SS. cowl and data tags appear original, match the title, etc. it currently has a 283 code 3896944 which looks like a 67 vintage (not original motor). i believe it has a powerglide behind it but havent really had that much time. carb is Holley 600 vac sec double pump. intake appears to be pro products typhoon (edel rpm knock off). bone stock powerpak heads by the casting design on the end.

I also bought a 4 door non-ss 64 for parts. It has a 350 code 14093638 which looks like an 87-94 roller 2 or 4 bolt (dont know yet). has a turbo 350 behind it. carb is edelbrock 600 with an edelbrock 2101 performer. just got car this weekend so couldnt tell you a thing about internals yet. 416 heads off a 305 by the casting design - seems like someone was trying to ramp up compression or something.

Question for heated debate - in that this is a non #s matching car, what engine and trans would you use and why? what are the first upgrades you'd do on the engine you picked? i do plan on going back to original color (daytona blue) and trying to stay stock interior/exterior. but i do love a little head snap from the throttle. car will be used on long cruises, never at strip. i like a good low rumble and a "friendly engine experience".

all opinions greatly appreciated. trying to make some informed planning decisions.
I'd build it as a mild Power Cruiser, build the 350 as a 383, the 3800 pound Impala will like the torque. Sell the 283, Powerglide and TH350 to buy a beefed up 700R4. Update the electrical to the latter 20th century, put in modern air conditioning, disk brakes, modernize the suspension. I'd go with mid 90's wheels of 15 to 16 inch diameter rims not the new ones that end up looking like chrome buckboard wheels with rubber bands for tires as the look on a classic just doesn't work. This will make very competent and reasonably powerful cruiser that looks sharp but bows toward the traditional.

Bogie
Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

Bogie makes several good points. If you can afford it; a TH200-4R or 700r4 OD auto; disc brakes are a MUST on this barge, Id even suggest an OEM style Hydraboost setup for the P/S and Brakes. A high output alternator and a nice little modern Sanden AC compressor. You'll probably want an idle compensator for the AC as well. Theres a local guy with a TPI 350 in his 65 Biscayne we did a muncie rebuild for. Its got a fair amount of grunt, and has the HEI, EFI and Roller cam standard. TPI makes a great cruising motor, throw some borlas at it and ooze down the road

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.