Hot Rod Forum banner

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  chevys65 
#1 ·
howdy to all
i've got a 283 im rebuilding and was wordering gas mpg i git?
it's a 1965 c10 3 on the tree with a 3.73 rear. Stock 2 barrel

cool site

#4 ·
Believe me the 283 is a fine motor for those trucks.True a 350 would pull more but my 1/2 ton 69 C-10 had the 283 in it with the three speed and it was fine. Bullit proff engine UNLESS you deliberatley neglect to put oil in one. Make sure the grommets are in good shape on the linkage. They are a often overlooked piece that will cause the linkage to bind up. Expierence in that area.

#8 ·
The Chevy 350 seems to be the perfect balance between power and mileage. They are very efficient that way. When you underpower a vehicle it can actually start to waste mileage. Same thing with adding too much power. I think the 283 will get worse mileage than a 350. Especially if it were a roller cammed late model 350 with Vortec heads.

#11 ·
You should have grommets! They are a Nylon push in insert that is hollowed out to accept the enmds of the different rods that controll the shift. There is supposed to be one on the first rod coming off the steering shaft housing under the hood. That rod should connect to another one,running from a bracket off the frame on the left side. With these grommets missing they will eventually begin to bind,causing you to get out of the c ar in the heavy rain and lay down,getting completly soaked(Still Bitter After All These Years). Believe me the 283 is fine for that. The 350 would not be bad,but if you are looking at just saving a buck and fixing what you have,it is fine. Take it from expierence on that engine. Alot of people knock the 283 just because it is not a 350,I was the same way when I got the truck.But after driving it for a summer,I found out it was great.It was just all the other bugs with that old truck that put me over the edge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.