Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 283 Assembly
Thread: 283 Assembly
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

283 Assembly

I am putting together my 65 283 after doing the machining in my class and having the final honing and balancing done by my instructor. I have the crank, pistons and cam installed. I will have the oil pump and fuel pump installed in the next few days along with the timing chain.

I have been reading up on what break in oil to use and my instructor recommended Joe Gibbs BR which I can get locally. I have the bearings and the cam coated with moly graphite assembly lube. I want to get the heads on the valve lashed but I have read that I should not pump up the lifters. I was going to prime the pump and the engine before installing the intake manifold. On a video I have the guy primed the engine before he put on the heads and push rods. He kept pumping until no more bubbles came out of the lifters. Isn't that pumping up the lifters? Also by priming the engine am I going to be wiping of the assembly lube off the cam lobes and bearings? I won't be starting the engine for some time but I want to get it ready as much as possible.

Do you have any recommendations how far I should take this before covering it up?