View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,008 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertz View Post
I just tried to install my Cloyes roller timing chain. I have the sprocket on the crank and the #1 piston at TDC but the align marks won't line up. I have a chain set up that can be installed retarded, OE or advanced and it does not have a dot on the crank sprocket. The dot on the cam sprocket is to one side of center. If I move a tooth it goes to the other side but much farther of center. Is this going to be a problem? I wouldn't mind a little retarded for more low end torque but I would prefer it was straight up.
First off, you advance the camshaft in relation to the crankshaft to generate more low end and low mid range. (You secure the crankshaft to prevent it turning and then turn the cam sprocket, with the cam attached to the sprocket, clockwise to advance the camshaft relative to the crankshaft). Leaving the crank still and the cam still and turning only the cam sprocket clockwise, using offset dowels, will retard the cam timing in relation to the crankshaft. Leaving the crank still and the camshaft still and turning only the cam sprocket counter-clockwise, using offset dowels, will advance the camshaft in relation to the crankshaft. Retarding it will improve top end and upper mid range at the expense of low end and low mid range power. Pull the crank sprocket off and see if the mark is on the other side. If you're seeing a chamfer at the edge of the bore of the sprocket, it's definitely on backwards. That chamfer goes to the fillet radius on the crank.

For the rest of you....
#1 cylinder and #6 cylinders are companion cylinders. They both come to TDC at the same time. When assembling a motor, line up the dot on the cam sprocket at 6PM and the dot on the crank sprocket at 12PM, so that they are right next to each other. With the cam in this position, #6 cylinder will be ready to fire. In order to get #1 cylinder ready to fire (so that you can run the distributor wiring correctly), you will want to turn the crankshaft one complete turn clockwise, so that the cam dot is at 12PM and the crank dot is at 12PM.

Last edited by techinspector1; 11-10-2012 at 05:13 PM.