Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 283 Assembly
Thread: 283 Assembly
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 06:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

The crankshaft sprocket has three notches. There is one that is square on the top that is supposed to retard timing. One round on the top that is OEM and one that has a point on top of the notch that is for advanced. The instructions say that it will advance or retard 2 degrees using the either the retard or advance notch.

So when I set the number 1 to TDC number 6 should also be to TDC. If I am 180 out does number 6 not show up at TDC? I am installing the cam sprocket with number 1 at TDC is that correct? The cam dot is at 6 and since there is no crank dot I have it set for TDC. I will slip on the balancer and see if it puts the timing mark at TDC since it has to go over the same key.

Sorry for being confused this is my first build and I want to get it right.

I just went out and checked and the sprocket is on right and I did check to see if either side had a dot before I put it on and they did not. I figured no dot since it can be put on three ways. The instructions do however show a dot. I installed it square to retarded on the left and advance pointed top on the right.

Last edited by Mertz; 11-10-2012 at 07:05 PM.