283 cam preferrence - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

283 cam preferrence

I have built a really cool ratrod, chopped 29 Ford pickup. Installed a stock 283 with Powerglide from 67, I think Impala. Well maybe not fully stock. It came with Holley 650 spreadbore. I can tell the engine was rebuilt at some point, but I believe they used a stock cam since it runs so smooth (uh, too smooth). The engine runs great as is, but I would like to little bit more umph. I'm really not looking to more HP as it does fine as is since the rat is so light, but would like for it to sound better than a sewing machine as I cruise slowly at car shows, etc. A low to mid range cam maybe. I don't plan to change heads or intake. Just a cam for better sound. Just wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions. Example of lift, duration... brand.

Thanks,
Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

We really need to know which 283 you have, approximate weight of your rod and what gears you're running. Just off the top of my head though the Summit 1103 might give it the idle you're looking for without totally killing your bottom end. Here's alink to a video of one in a 305........

Summit 1103
Old 07-05-2011, 04:38 PM

You asked what engine, weight, and ratio. I was afraid someone would ask. All I know is it's a 67... i think. weight? Best guess about 1600 to 1800 lbs. Ratio. Rear end came from Astrovan. I think it's about 3.5:1. As it stands now, the rat is a little slow off the line, but gets going above 15- 20 mph. I consider it totally acceptable on power as is. But I'm not changing the cam to get better line start. In fact, if changing the cam for better "sound" results in a little less performance off the line, I can live with that. I'm not going to enter any drag races. Not this truck anyway. The problem now is... it sounds like your great aunts car who only drives on Sunday. Ii just want one that sounds cool. No plans to do burnouts. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:17 PM

I don't know how much compression is in your motor or whether you want to adjust the valves from time to time, how 'bout the 283ci/290 hp Fuelie cam?

I think they used to call it the Duntov 18-20, or something like that.

Solid lifters, a little on the noisy side ( but in a good way ).

Maybe something comparable in a modern design, will give your rat rod a decent boost.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The cam hippie pointed out would work, it`s bigger than I`d recommend but what you have working for you is light weight. However, it would work alot better if the powerglide was dropped and a TH350 was installed. The lower first gear of a TH350 would give it alot better out of the hole accelaration.
With a powerglide low end response might be on the sluggish side.
The spread bore holley works alot like a Quadrajet but not as good as a Quad in my opinion. What intake is in use? As long as there`s not a adapter plate in use your in good shape. With the given cam, I would advance it 4 degrees, this will help low end response somewhat. What you have to remember is, you have a small cubic inch small block, velocity is very important for low end torque development with these engines. Lastly when you change the cam you`ll need to add a new timing chain and valve springs that match the cam.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

In order to run the cam you want with the racey idle sound you will have to replace the torque converter.

You will need a 9" or 10" "3500 stall" converter.
other wise it won;t idle in gear. You need the looser converter coupling at idle for these types of cams. The low initial acceleration will be much better too.

A stock torque converter will not work.

Isky 201268 or isky 201278.
www.iskycams.com

you will need to recurve the distributor also.

These cams will give the sound you want.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Hey F, did you happen to notice he said it`s a 283? It`s easy to make a 283 lope since it`s small on the cubic inches. Also he doesn`t know what the compression ratio is or what mods may have been done to it. He said he wanted a cam, he didn`t say he wanted to do alot of work which would be required on both cams you mentioned.
If it`s just a basic lope he`s after then a Comp 268H will do that with .218 duration.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The results with the isky cams will be worth the effort and new high stall converter.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The results with the isky cams will be worth the effort and new high stall converter.

The little 283 will benefit from a distributor recurve and a high stall conerter reguardless, even with the 268H cam. The isky cams will sound better.
This way you'll only have to do it once.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1899
Installed a stock 283 with Powerglide from 67, I think Impala.
There was only the one passenger car 283 in '67 and if it is a '67 and is all original except for the 4 bbl. intake it will be factory rated at 9.25 to 1 compression. It's probably closer to 8.75 to 1 unless they changed some things when they rebuilt it, it will also have Power Pak heads. As light as your rod is and given your intended use I'd still use the 1103. It worked well with a friends otherwise stock 327/250HP; PG (stock converter) and 3.36 equipped '64 Impala SS and he's got literally about a Ton on you. It works even better with the 200-4R and 3.73's in it now.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

I would look for a cam with 106 to 107 LSA and with a duration of 212 (at 0.050") on the intake and 218 on the exhaust.

A 283 doesn't need much cam to make it lope. Plus the narrow LSA really makes it extra lopey at idle then helps it make better mid range power. It should be ok with the stock stall, but I would change it to a higher stall as soon as possible. and change to a th350 at the same time.

run 25 degrees of timing at idle, 37 to 38 total. Use an adjustable vacuum advance canister to add another 10 degrees.

You have headers, right??? if not, get some.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

454 took the words out of my mouth. I was going to say use a cam around .212 @.050 as it would be ideal for a little 283 and should lope as the small cubes are easy to make lope. In my 4.3 V6 with TBI, I have a isky computer hydraulic roller cam in it with .204 .209 duration and at 675 RPM at idle it lopes nicely. Even so the 4.3 is a 350 with 2 cylinders whacked off, it`s still less cubic inches overall, mine is bored .030 which puts it at 266 cubes, it`s still 84 cubes less.
This would be my pick, it works with stock compression ratios and pretty much stock pieces. It`s single pattern cam which I perfer over a split pattern.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL12-206-2/
Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 AM

These are all great suggestions, and I much appreciate all the replies. Double is right. All I want is a bit of lope without having to do anything else to the engine/trans. Keep in mind, this is a ratrod with the goal of build it quick, cheap, and keep it simple. That I have done, but that engine, well, it's just, uh the sound, it's just so darned smooth. Plenty of power for its weight and safety, so sacrificing a lttile low end performance is not a concern. I believe your suggestions have just about narrowed it down, but I welcome more. Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Any pictures of the truck? Not that it will help anything, but it sounds like a cool truck from what you have said.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 AM

Last photo:

I'm with BigDog! Let's see the pictures! I dig the hell outta rat rods!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.