283 crank in 400??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 12:39 AM
MAKE EM STICK AND E.T'S QUICK

Wiki Edits: 0

283 crank in 400???

i was just curious if anyone has ever heard anything like this being done? ridiculous rpms seem possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

That would require some really thick bearing spacers as 283 cranks were all small journal 2.30 inch size and 400`s are 2.65 inch. I`m sure somebody`s did it and likely used a large journal crank from a 302. Placing a 327 crank in a 400 is popular. However, the stroke doesn`t dictate how high it`ll rev, The valve train does. It would work rather well for something that requires constant high revs such as track racing, but for street use it`s almost worthless.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:47 AM

yea i meant to say 302 i was reading a dif artical and was discussing 283's sorry. but i knowthe top end would determin but the bore to stroke would be pretty damn good i think for a 1/4 mile motor.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:59 AM

Last photo:

Good for a quarter mile, not really. It would have to have really deep gears in the 5.50:1 or lower range. If a guy comes along with a 350 built up similiar he`ll blow your doors off. You can`t beat cubic inches, no matter how high you can rev. When I was younger I used to dream up all kinds of short stroke high revver combo`s. My instructor at tech college ran a high revver in his racing days using a 283 bored to a 4 inch bore making it a 302, biggest solid cam he could get, dual quads, 5.13 gears, 3 speed GM manual tranny. His words were "I never lost if it didn`t break, but it broke alot" He would take it up to the line, rev it to 9500 RPM, side step the clutch and hang on.
I seen many a high revver over the years at the drag strips, they always lost and why was because they were running 5 speeds, and since it`s geared so deep and tachs so fast they couldn`t shift it fast enough. The 3 speed my instructor used was the trick, he only had to shift twice and he was in 1:1 direct drive (3rd gear) Anyways, as I got older, I realized what I just said before, no matter how high you can rev, it won`t beat cubic inches and there`s no point spending thousands of dollars on custom pieces trying to make it rev that high and stay together only to get out run by a bigger engine with half that amount invested.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:59 AM

i do realize there would be next to no bottom end and your right about the street driving, i heard storys about those 302s not being the "best" mills to put around town. but with that crank the rotating mass would be drasticly less than the 3.75" stroke. sorry responsive rather than high revving
Old 01-18-2011, 01:06 AM

double vision please dont think im arguing or anything like that. im 22 and just really love cars its in my familys blood. n just wanna learn. i understand theres no replacement for displacement but i was thinking the faster u got the crank turning.....
Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Destroking can help some engines, but not in the example you give, a really oversquare bore/stroke isn't needd for a good race engine. If it was no one would race 383's and they're everywhere!

You need to consider the entire package, a LOT of people have trouble with that idea.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

AP brings up a important lesson that I`ve stressed many times, think of the whole package, don`t count on one thing to be the ultimate advantage.
To look it with this prospective, a engine isn`t one part, it`s many, and it all has to work together as a team to make max performance. Counting on one part to do so doesn`t work. Edelbrock pushed the envelope hard in the 80`s when they released packages of a intake, carb and cam, all matched to work together. Since a engine is many parts, it`s a team, one part doesn`t do it all. As AP mentions, many look at a engine as only 1 thing.
Holley still carries a package of carb, intake, cam and heads, with headers and a good ignition on a 350 engine, it`ll make over 400 horsepower.
This outlook of one thing is what causes many to bolt on a carb or a cam that`s way too big. Some, especially the younger generation get swallowed by what we call "more`s law" they believe, if some is good, more must be better. They`ll try and stick a 850cfm carb on a stock 305 and wonder why it don`t have any power afterwards. Or install a monster cam in a 305 then wonder why it won`t idle, has no power and the power brakes don`t work anymore.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.