Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 283 Crank id issues!
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0087 View Post
Thank you so much cobalt327 Now it makes sense to me! I would buy 302 pistons if they weren't 500+ dollars a set with out rings! also on that note its hard to find a 302 dish piston for running forced induction. my goal is 8.5-9CR The other huge problem with 302 piston is most of them are around 11-1CR and while I love a nasty N/A V-8 I can't see using race gas to just play around cause that's what I will mostly be doing don't get me wrong I will be going to the drag strip and autocross.
You are welcome, Rick. You may be surprised to hear how many guys ask about building a clone of the 'mighty Z28 302'- there's at least one a month here alone. Times that by all the sites and all the other people who never post about it and that extrapolates out to a surprisingly large number of people who might build one if the pistons were priced like a 283 piston (which it essentially is). This makes me wonder why one of the companies doesn't tool up for a run of them.

In your case (using boost), you'd want forged. But for the majority of builds, a good cast piston would be just fine.

FWIW, there is a franken-build you could do using the crank and rods from the Gen 2 L99 engine. The rods from the L99 are 5.94", this will allow you to run off the shelf 350 pistons with the L99 3.00" stroke crank. Takes a 1-piece rear main seal block.

Or use spacer bearings to put the SJ 283 crank in a 4" bore block. Use the L99 rods to run stock CH 350 slugs.

BTW, the rear seal area of the 283 crank has to be inspected to see if it originally used a rope seal or 2-piece rear main seal.