283 crankcase vent - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 12:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

283 crankcase vent

hey guys, well i got the 283 rolling. Got it ready for the town parade, everyone was turning there heads. Soon after i ran her i little hot and oil and antifreeze mixed blew sky high out my valve cover vent. the **** shot all over the truck. i turned her off right then, and pulled the truck to the garage. I havnt tor it down yet, but do you thank it could be from the vent hole in the intake valley being plug. I know it has to breath and i do believe it is pluged. Would this cause the oil and antifreez blow everywhere, i assume a blown head gasket as well. What do you guys think. Cheap fix any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGWISEXY
hey guys, well i got the 283 rolling. Got it ready for the town parade, everyone was turning there heads. Soon after i ran her a little hot and a oil and antifreeze mixed blew sky high out my valve cover vent. the **** shot all over the truck. i turned her off right then, and pulled the truck to the garage. I havnt tor it down yet, but do you thank it could be from the vent hole in the intake valley being plug. I know it has to breath and i do believe it is pluged. Would this cause the oil and antifreez to blow everywhere, i assume a blown head gasket as well. What do you guys think. Cheap fix any suggestions?
What would cause the oil coming out of the valve cover with such force like that? I hurd that the there is a vent on the old 283(mine is a 65) if that hole was plugged would it cause increase compretion in the crank case and make the oil shoot out of the valve cover. I only have one breather for the valve cover the other has a pvc valve going to the carb i believe..

I NEED HELP
thank you
Old 06-08-2009, 04:39 PM
More for Less Racer

Sounds like you blew a head gasket or cracked the block or a head and it pressurized the crankcase. The breather hole to the lifter valley at the back wall of the block only needs to be open if you are using valvecovers with NO holes in them, like the stock "script" Chevrolet covers. Antifreeze in the oil means something is bad wrong, you will have to disassemble and investigate.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:48 PM

eric, i aint ever saw oil blow out of the dang valve cover, normally when blowing the head gasket the radiator blows off.. with it being a new motor do you really thank i cracked the block. where would i look mainly to make sure the block aint cracked or the heads?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:10 PM
More for Less Racer

I guess we need to clear something up -- Do you have antifreeze in the oil or is there just oil blown all over the place?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

I agree with Eric, when you get a cocktail of oil and anti freeze then you're in deep sh--. I would start by pulling the heads, see if the head gasket is blown or maybe the heads weren't torqued down properly (were the heads surfaced when rebuilt?)....but that still wouldn't account for the oil.

A compression check of the cyls. may give you an idea as which one is the culprit. If thats not the case then you may have to tear the block down and look for an obvious cracked cyl. or just have it mag'd.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:45 PM

yea there was anti freeze in the oil. My main question is, if that vent in the oil valley under the intake is plug, would that probably be one of the main issues. I dont think there was enough flow through just one vent in my valve covers. But yes, i am going to tear the top end down tomorrow and check everything from there. I am hoping it is just a head gasket, and that damn vent being pluged.

i need to flush the block out, what should i use to flush it with,, cheap oil and then put in the good stuff?

Has anyone else seen oil blow out of a valve cover? What was your damage?

Anyone else ever mess with a 283 than can explain the vent in the lifter valley and maybe let me no that may have cause the blow.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Last photo:

There's nothing magic about the vent you asked about. It's just a crankcase vent. If it's plugged, the crankcase will find or make another vent. Typically it would leak oil from the crankshaft seals or the valve cover gasket will leak, but it wont cause antifreeze to get in the oil, or the other way around.
If you've got coolant in the oil, you've got another problem.....
Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 PM

yea i understand that i have a different problem with the anti freeze being in the oil.. i am a 99% positive i blew a head gasket. I am looking for the reason why the two mixed, blew out of the valve cover? you said normally it will leak around the valve covers but this **** blew out of the valve covers. Why would it do this? I the only idea i have is the crank case wasnt getting any flow, so it got back pressure and blew out of the valve cover. What do you guys thank?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:31 PM
More for Less Racer

This has absolutely nothing to do with the vent in the back of the block. This is just an early design and is only required to be functional IF there is no other vent in the system,i.e. valvecovers with no vent holes. STOP looking for this to be a reason, you have a breather in the valvecover and one would be more than enough. Oil mixed with antifreeze was being blown out of the valvecover as a DIRECT result of the blown headgasket or a crack that allowed a cylinder to put combustion pressure INTO the crankcase.

Run a compression test so you know what cylinder to look at instead of having to guess.

Were the heads and block checked and machined flat if necessary??(it usually is).
Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 PM

the block should be good, it was machine a couple of years ago, but sat greased up in some bags. it was bored and checked when done. and the heads are fairly new in being redone, they came off my pops 355 had no problems out of them.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:11 PM
More for Less Racer

Just because the heads came off another running engine does not mean that they were flat enough to reseal on a new gasket and different block, they warp with use.

What head gasket did you use?, and did you retorque the head bolts? Use the correct sealer on the threads? Oil under the bolt heads where they contact the head and not dry torqued?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.