Hot Rod Forum banner

283 Harmonic Balancer

47K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Haslam3113 
#1 ·
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
283 Harmonic Balancer - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 1964 Impala and pulled the 327 out of it and dropped a 283 in to get me on the road.

The 327 harmonic balancer uses a bolt to hold it to the crank.

The 283 does not have a hole in the crank and the harmonic balancer from the 327 may be too large for the 283 since the outer diameter will hit the timing mark tab.

How does the harmonic balancer mount to the crank on the 283? Just it just get "Pounded" on? Will it stay on? What size balancer do I need? Should I get a Harmonic Damper. Anyone have one for sale? If I buy one used, does it need to be rebalanced?

Any information will help, this is the only thing from getting me on the road!

Thanks,
James

See less See more
#29 ·
This is not to put Haslam down but just an effort to end the ongoing instructions that he was given and to end this post. He sent me 2 pri. messages as he was still confused as to what exactly a harmonic damper was and again how to install it. I again gave him instructions and also advised him to seek professional help in putting his engine together so he does'nt ruin all of his new parts, the best of luck to him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.