283 heads ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 07:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

283 heads ??

Hey Guys- need some help here- I have a good 1958 Vette' 283 engine that's missing the heads. My Buddy has a real nice set of casting # 462626 350 heads he'll give me,... but I'm concerned about the performance- like- would the compression be too low ?? Any input on this or maybe another post somehere else where this subject's been covered already ??
Thanx alot...
tbbronson in Orlando...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbronson
Hey Guys- need some help here- I have a good 1958 Vette' 283 engine that's missing the heads. My Buddy has a real nice set of casting # 462626 350 heads he'll give me,... but I'm concerned about the performance- like- would the compression be too low ?? Any input on this or maybe another post somehere else where this subject's been covered already ??
Thanx alot...
tbbronson in Orlando...
That number doesn't show up in my info (have info on 462624- large chamber, crack prone), but if they're large chamber heads for a 350, they will not give enough compression.

If they are the small chamber heads, they may be OK. The heads from a 305 have about the right chamber size. Casting 416 are said to be a decent head, w/1.84" x 1.5" valves. There is a 305 Vortec head c/n 12558059, that shows some potential, also.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:52 AM

Last photo:

283 heads ??

327... thanx alot- yeah..that casting # is throwin' me... can't seem 2 find the last 6 digit in SBC casting research either- but the # is real plain & clear...
Oh well... I do have a 305 too.... maybe I'll research the #'s on it & use those heads...
Thanx again man...

tbbronson
Old 07-02-2010, 10:55 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Pretty funny- I googled the casting number (I seldom use the site- just too much BS usually) and got several hits. Lo and behold, they were your posts! From here and another site. I thought at first, "heck these heads must be common". But I guess not.

I did see one other mention of the head c/n- but it was an engine on eBay that had both “HEADS# 462626”, then in the description “HEAD'S # 140144116”, so no idea what he really has.

But the main thing is, if they're large chambers, like 72-76cc, they're too big to do you any good.

What is the c/n of the 305 heads? Hopefully they will be something w/the 1.84" intake valves.

If Revmaster Machine Shop is still over on Old Winter Garden Rd., give them a call for heads or head work. Down the street from them is Fosters junk yard. It's a pull-it-yourself 'yard, good parts and prices.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

283 heads ??

Thanx agin' 327.... Yeah- gotta' pull the covers & get the #'s off the 305- am bein' told by a coupla' gear-heads that they could be a lil' small for the 283 & offer 2 much Compression... am gonna' research the C.C.'s of the 350 heads a lil' more ( as well as the c.n.'s)... looks like I could have several options- including the junk yard U mentioned- also- Nat'l. Cyl. Head down behind the Citrus Bowl (U mighta' know it as the Tangerine Bowl) mite can advise me about 'em too....
Thx agin'....
tbbronson
Old 07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
also- Nat'l. Cyl. Head down behind the Citrus Bowl (U mighta' know it as the Tangerine Bowl) mite can advise me about 'em too....
Absolutely! I can't believe I forgot about them!

They started doing a better grade of valve job, if you request it. This was quite a while ago, but I'm sure you know or can get the details. I believe it involves a 3-angle cut and maybe a bowl "ream" below the bottom 70º cut?

Anyway, I used to take them my bare heads after porting and I had a older Puerto Rican man named Angel who'd give them "special" attention- he was the shop boss then in the cylinder head machining department- probably retired by now. I was always good for a decent tip, and he took good care of me.

I used Revmaster for crank turning and block boring much more than head machining (I was in Ocoee, West side Orange Co.). I can't believe I completely forgot about NCH, though!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

283 heads ??

Ha !!..Well we all sometimes suffer from Brain Farts 327 !!! (LOL)
When did U leave the City Beautiful ??
I was born here 60+ years ago, raised in College Park ( Edgewater 68'), and now live off Apopka-Vineland Rd. in W. Orange County...if I was on the west side of A.V. I'd be in Ocoee, but am on the east side of it ( by 600 ft.), 1/2 mile south of Clarecona Rd. ( remember that 1 ??)...
I've heard good things about Revmasters, but no personal experience...
And yes- I had N.C.H. do several head jobs 4 me in the past & always got the 3-angle grind... didn't know Angel, but they always took care of me as best I could tell...
Thx.
tb
Old 07-02-2010, 01:25 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Ha !!..Well we all sometimes suffer from Brain Farts 327 !!! (LOL)
When did U leave the City Beautiful ??
I was born here 60+ years ago, raised in College Park ( Edgewater 68'), and now live off Apopka-Vineland Rd. in W. Orange County...if I was on the west side of A.V. I'd be in Ocoee, but am on the east side of it ( by 600 ft.), 1/2 mile south of Clarecona Rd. ( remember that 1 ??)...
I've heard good things about Revmasters, but no personal experience...
And yes- I had N.C.H. do several head jobs 4 me in the past & always got the 3-angle grind... didn't know Angel, but they always took care of me as best I could tell...
Thx.
tb
I left FL about 14 years ago, but I still visit. I know the Clarcona Rd./Apopka-Vineland Rd. area well!

Take a look at Fosters, they used to have a good supply of junk on hand at all times. By the time I left, SBC engines were still plentiful, hopefully they still are. I don't know by now what they might have, though.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:38 PM

Last photo:

283 heads ??

.. will check with them, although the big movers now I would think are the Japanese 4 bangers, etc..
Thx agin'.....
tb
Old 07-02-2010, 02:52 PM

Last photo:

283 heads ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Pretty funny- I googled the casting number (I seldom use the site- just too much BS usually) and got several hits. Lo and behold, they were your posts! From here and another site. I thought at first, "heck these heads must be common". But I guess not.

I did see one other mention of the head c/n- but it was an engine on eBay that had both “HEADS# 462626”, then in the description “HEAD'S # 140144116”, so no idea what he really has.

But the main thing is, if they're large chambers, like 72-76cc, they're too big to do you any good.

What is the c/n of the 305 heads? Hopefully they will be something w/the 1.84" intake valves.[B]

If Revmaster Machine Shop is still over on Old Winter Garden Rd., give them a call for heads or head work. Down the street from them is Fosters junk yard. It's a pull-it-yourself 'yard, good parts and prices.

Good luck.
327- yeah... a closer look @ the 350 heads revealed that last digit was a 4 after-all....so they're 76 C.C. C.C.- shoots the C.R. all 2 heck... oh well...
But- I slipped off the V.C.'rs on the 305- cast # 14022301- indicates they're 1.85 & 1.5 valves- but couldn't find the C.C. c.c.'s.... U know where I can look 4 that ??
Thx.
tb

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.