283 hp predictions - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think whatever HP your 283 build makes will be way up there near 6500-7,000 with the cam and heads you are using. There's really an issue with flowing the kind of numbers you're quoting, and I wont argue if they flow that, but if they do it's going to be at very high end.
I'd be very surprised if it makes much over 300 hp also. I built a very similar 283 long ago for my '55 Chevy gasser, and used the old 1.94/1.60 "fueler" heads with some extra porting, and it was pushing around 308 hp at the crank.
Your lower gears in the rear will help, as will a stick tranny, but it will be pretty void of HP or torque up to around 3500 rpm's. Might have to launch around 4,000 rpm's and try to keep it in the 4,000 plus range. Not exactly a well mannered street engine when it doesn't make good midrange torque or power.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 08:10 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u Windows are in
Last photo:

I had a 12.5.1 standard bore 283, big roller cam and all kinds of old school trick parts. It made 308HP at flywheel. I'm sure today's technology could squeeze out more horses but I would spend my money on a 350.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:10 PM

ok i see what you are saying my87Z and I will know soon enough what the engine is going to be putting out I was talking to the guy that owns machine shop here and it sounds like i might have them set my carb up and dyno the engine its going to cost me but should be worth it i might have them swap intake wile its there to see what one I want as long as they dont charge to much more for that.

to be honest if the engine only put out 330hp that would be 210hp more than what the car had stock so i should be happy with those numbers.

I know its going to be a higher reving engine and thats what i wanted and there will be no launching this car but more of a road race kinda car and maybe a weekend cruse kinda of a car it has a 5 speed tranny with no overdrive
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

sounds good

but i dont think i have ever seen a 5spd manual transmission without an O/D. normally the 5th gear is under 1:1
Old 04-02-2012, 12:54 PM

1975 914 porsche probably will never use first gear so it will still be a 4 speed

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.