Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - To 283 or not to 283?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 08:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
One option that I don't think has been mentioned is to find a 1996-2000 L31 5.7L Vortec long block (an L31 Vortec long block includes the Vortec heads) or a 1986-up sbc 350 short block equipped w/the factory roller cam and lifters and add your choice of heads to it.

The ability to build an inexpensive engine that uses roller lifters is a real plus, given the poor quality of the over the counter motor oils and the possible cam break in problems w/flat tappet cams these days.

An engine like the Vortec long block w/a mild cam and a 4-barrel carb and intake and carb along w/headers and a reworked GM HEI distributor will reliably make your power goals w/o breaking a sweat, and can do it very inexpensively.

But whatever you decide, good luck and be sure to ask about parts and such first before shelling out your hard-earned money.
Cobalt327, thanks for pointing that out. A carbed Vortec engine is what I was suggesting but I never made the distinction between FI and carbed.