Hot Rod Forum banner

283 performance

23K views 211 replies 7 participants last post by  jvsapp 
#1 ·
jvsapp said:
it ran ok... but no comparison to the 350 in there now... i guess with the heads on that 8.5:1 smogger motor... was kind of doubling down... but as for the carb, yeah it should bolt right on... and it is somewhere in the garage. was on the bench, but then again some menehune got bored and started cleaning the "organized mess" i had going... i just have to figure out where it got placed... i got a hunch it is either in one of the closets, or under the bench...it will be in a taco bell bag or home depot bag if i remember right. might be in a box... possiblly.... it might need a rebuild though... it was decent, but been sitting since i took it off when mike and i swapped cams... and the carb was way too small... it was ok till i got on it... then it fell flat on it's face... i gotta find out when the next swap meet is... maybe we'd be better off looking for one there with the oil fill tube... and no you can't have one of my nice new chromed ones... those were good money....

I wasn't asking about the chrome oil fill tube... :nono: ...just the carb...which btw i never touched anything in a TacoBell/HomeDepot bag...

#2 ·
choctaw bob - for the most part we are trying to stay dry. i guess i'm not going to be able to paint those fenders this weekend... where my car is, fortunately is away from those dams... we have like 150 dams here across the state. the biggest of which is the nuuanu one. it is at 32ft and can go up to 64 ft. and that is like 180,000 gallons per foot. alot of water if that one let's go... might flood down town honolulu... :( but as for driving the road... it's nice when it isn't raining... being on 200ft tall cement pilars is kind of spooky.. all that wind and all. i'll see if i can get a picture from the ground so you can see... i love living on the windward side... even though we get alot of rain... it seems i can breathe easier.

as for the car/ intake combo, i liked it when it was on my smogger 305, then on my goodwrench 350 it was nice. i loved the mechanical secondaries.. i knew the would open when i mashed the pedal... and tat was the 450/ torker setup. i like my performer much better now, but contemplating putting on my performer RPM on....

#3 ·
jvsapp said:
choctaw bob -

as for the car/ intake combo, i liked it when it was on my smogger 305, then on my goodwrench 350 it was nice. i loved the mechanical secondaries.. i knew the would open when i mashed the pedal... and tat was the 450/ torker setup. i like my performer much better now, but contemplating putting on my performer RPM on....
The great thing about Hot Rodding is trying stuff out yourself and working (with your own brain) out the best combination that works for you. The huge number of bolt on parts that are available enables people like you and me (that have a pretty good idea that it is best to start small and work up to optimum) to build whatever we want and can afford. What is really great is that with knowledge and patience and time scrounging swap meets and the web, we can build a car that will nearly always smoke the car that the rich kid built (or had built) from a pile of the most trendy but mismatched parts. They also don't understand that a 1,000 HP isn't worth squat if you can't hook it up. By the time they figure out that building really fast cars takes a lot time thought and energy, they loose interest. Some stick it out and make their cars run but it is rarely the combination that they started with.

I ran a torker on a 396 one time with a 750 Holley. I liked it a lot. Any air gap manifold will help an engine in a warm climate. I would install upper and lower windage trays on all engines where you live especially with a non airgap intake. I would block off the egr port too to cool the intake furthur.

#4 ·
ChoctawBob,
i'm gonna play with it ,& have some fun...i'll let you know how it goes...as for the damns...no we don't live by any of those,but my brothers garage where we work on our cars is below sea level & catches alotta runn off from the main road...the garage catches it's share of flooding,but everything is up off the ground so we've been pretty lucky so far...as for me, i live on the top floor of a 4 story apartment...so i'm cool...except for my ride...
Now that i think about it,i can remember when we were growing up,i could hear them practicing touch & goes from my house...so maybe there's some thought into that runway after all...then again we've seen some fortress' land there too...talk about squezzing it...
Jess,
For the sake of argument...you don't LIVE on the windward...your cars do but you LIVE somewhere else...

#5 ·
86078 said:
ChoctawBob,
i'm gonna play with it ,& have some fun...i'll let you know how it goes...as for the damns...no we don't live by any of those,but my brothers garage where we work on our cars is below sea level & catches alotta runn off from the main road...the garage catches it's share of flooding,but everything is up off the ground so we've been pretty lucky so far...as for me, i live on the top floor of a 4 story apartment...so i'm cool...except for my ride...
Now that i think about it,i can remember when we were growing up,i could hear them practicing touch & goes from my house...so maybe there's some thought into that runway after all...then again we've seen some fortress' land there too...talk about squezzing it...
Jess,
For the sake of argument...you don't LIVE on the windward...your cars do but you LIVE somewhere else...
I'd like to see where you guys live except that the air fare for my wife and I will buy a pretty good car or engine, you know, it is always about priorities.
I hope you guys can cope with the unusual weather.
What is the difference between windward? Is that where the storms come in? I think here in Texas, everywhere is windward :D

#6 ·
Choctaw Bob said:
I'd like to see where you guys live except that the air fare for my wife and I will buy a pretty good car or engine, you know, it is always about priorities.
I hope you guys can cope with the unusual weather.
What is the difference between windward? Is that where the storms come in? I think here in Texas, everywhere is windward :D

well we'll be here if you decide to make the trip...just let us know...yup we're copeing as best we can...the difference between the windward & leeward sides are like you said...weather...windward is wet & leeward dry...

#7 ·
86078 said:
well we'll be here if you decide to make the trip...just let us know...yup we're copeing as best we can...the difference between the windward & leeward sides are like you said...weather...windward is wet & leeward dry...
except this week... it is all wet.... :D... and yes i still live there... my mailing address is still 96744.... :p home is where the heart is....

hey i think they landed one of those C-117's on there the other day... it was big and it buzzed the mall area... i was coming down haiku rd and all i could say was DAMN.....

#8 ·
jvsapp said:
except this week... it is all wet.... :D... and yes i still live there... my mailing address is still 96744.... :p home is where the heart is....

hey i think they landed one of those C-117's on there the other day... it was big and it buzzed the mall area... i was coming down haiku rd and all i could say was DAMN.....

Holyshyt...buzzed the mall area...now that's huge...i've seen them on the tar mack at Mack terminal on Hickam...but i'd love to see one up close...
If home is where the heart is...i still live on the Windward side!!!!

#9 ·
jvsapp said:

Wow! I saw a C 17 at the Carswell AFB air shoe a few years back. You could carry my whole house inside! It was huge!.

#13 ·
jvsapp said:
well all i saw was a huge plane on approach to that "touch and go" runway out at MCBH... now i didn't see it land, or attempt to land, but i know it was huge...

sorry no picss of that cement freeway today.... the weather was pretty gloomy today.
How you guys doing in paradise? I just found a hand full of metal fragments in the lifter valley on the 396. The end of a pushrod blew up. What a mess.

#14 ·
paradise is finally looking sunny. :D but i'm working part time now as well as my full time... gotta get a pic of that freeway for you.

bummer on that pushrod... i blew one into 3 pieces and bent the one next to it on my 350 a few years back. ended up with a rod knock a month later. was on cylinder 5.

#15 ·
jvsapp said:
paradise is finally looking sunny. :D but i'm working part time now as well as my full time... gotta get a pic of that freeway for you.

bummer on that pushrod... i blew one into 3 pieces and bent the one next to it on my 350 a few years back. ended up with a rod knock a month later. was on cylinder 5.
I can be thankful I caught it early. At least I can tear it down and clean it. It might be a good opportunity to drop a 454 short block in it.
Bummer on working around the clock. Sometimes that is what we have to do to get ahead. With me there has always been a woman influencing the extra work. :D

#17 ·
454 shortblock... man to find one here is like gold.... the good thing about the 350 that developed the knock is that it can be rebuilt now and might find a home in my nova.... :thumbup: from what my friend said they are pretty affordable at one of the good shops out here... and then i can finally put those vortecs i scored onto something.

#18 ·
jvsapp said:
454 shortblock... man to find one here is like gold.... the good thing about the 350 that developed the knock is that it can be rebuilt now and might find a home in my nova.... :thumbup: from what my friend said they are pretty affordable at one of the good shops out here... and then i can finally put those vortecs i scored onto something.
I've located 2 454s that a friend of mine owns. A good thing is that I have a 460 Ford block and a 514 stroker crank, motor plates and a cannon oil pan to put it into a Fox Mustang that my friend has been trying to trade me out of for 10 years. Maybe I can make a deal :D

#19 ·
hey bob,

you sound like me... i got some parts still in my stash that i have had for close to 12 years. and i am only 30 now.... but funny thing is that the 10 bolt under my nova now i got from an abandoned car i found 12 years ago. i originally got it for my morris, but when i was given the nova, the 4 bolt axles had to go.

i never turn down free parts, never know when you can use them to trade. though i still kind of kick myself for not taking my neighbor's 65 ss convertable impala... only thing it needed was an alignment and a new wiring harness.... :drunk: not sure what clouded my judgement, but now he will be planning to sell it. i just couldn't see myself driving his car.

JS

#20 ·
jvsapp said:
hey bob,

you sound like me... i got some parts still in my stash that i have had for close to 12 years. and i am only 30 now.... but funny thing is that the 10 bolt under my nova now i got from an abandoned car i found 12 years ago. i originally got it for my morris, but when i was given the nova, the 4 bolt axles had to go.

i never turn down free parts, never know when you can use them to trade. though i still kind of kick myself for not taking my neighbor's 65 ss convertable impala... only thing it needed was an alignment and a new wiring harness.... :drunk: not sure what clouded my judgement, but now he will be planning to sell it. i just couldn't see myself driving his car.

JS
You have to have some ethics to live by, even if they don't make sense some of the time. Otherwise you would be hitting on the preacher's wife and smoking pot like me.

#22 ·
bob,
wow... ok... guess it aint' that far along... :D but everyone i talk to says that i was dumb or crazy to turn it down... the car just had the body work done 2 years ago, new goodwrench crate motor, disc brake conversion, rebuilt tranny, and new front bushings, the only problem was that the mechanic that was working on it for him thought that he'd fix the wiring for him because the car didn't start. so a few days later and some home made wiring harnesses and circuit brakers. some of the lights don't work, and the ignition only works when you you turn it to the run not start position. but then agan... gotta keep thinking i did the right thing... no room for it and i'd rather see him drive it, but if he really gotta get rid of it, i hope he get's the $8k he is trying for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.