Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 283 sbc questions
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 10:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Not very practical with a 283 and be very drivable. The 283 was available with power pack heads and 4 barrel carb for 220hp back in it's day. It can make respectable horsepower with the right parts selection, but it's going to be a high winder when making that kind of horsepower. IMO 300hp would be really pushing it and retain some drive ability. If I was trying to keep the truck true to form I would give it a good rebuild and make a Power Pack out of it, those parts are easy to find and cheap.

Vince
Thanks z28, I really appreciate your reply.
Can you give me some more information on those "power pack heads"
do they give the motor higher compression--higher flow runners?. I went to get some numbers off the heads that came off of the motor the only numbers at all on the head was "550" on the bottom, i also noticed the heads don't have any accessory bolt holes on the end of the heads, if that helps.

I also have a summit-racing cam to go in the motor... 224 duration and 0.465 lift and a 114 degree lsa is that going to be to much cam for this smaller motor? once again i bought this cam when i thought it was a 327.

Sorry for all the questions.