Hot Rod Forum banner

283 sittin for too long.

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  AutoGear 
#1 ·
I JUST RECENTLY BOUGHT A CHEVY 283 WITH TRANSMISSION . I'M WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY HELPFUL HINTS ABOUT MAKIN THIS MOTOR RUN GOOD. UT SAT OUTSIDE FOR A FEW YEARS AND water got in one of the cylinders. Any reply will be appreciated. Thanks,ben Hayden

#5 ·
It would be cheaper and make more power if you buy a complete 350 vortec engine from a 1996 to 2000. Then get a vortec intake and holley carb and drop it in.

These engine are cheap, have roller cams, and vortec heads. It most cases you can drop them right in. Should be able get one for 500.00. Make sure to get a complete engine (fan to flywheel) as the little stuff will nickel and dime you to death.

The only problem is these blocks don't accept a mechanical fuel pump.

#7 ·
not ALL blocks will go .125" overbore (the magical 301). And even when they did go that far, theres no room for clean up, so when its tired, its done. I'd go .060". Have it magnifluxed and sonic checked before you get too deep in it. there isn't a lot out there for piston selection at a cost effective level anymore, and you'll want to watch your head and cam selection with a small engine. Also, you'll probably want to plug the road draft tube and use a PCV system - there are ways you hide them fairly well in plain sight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.