283 torque? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 09:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

283 torque?

I have a 66 Chevy 283 engine. Last owner added Edelbrock Performance Plus Cam with Duration 278/ 288, Lift .420/ .442. EdelBrock Performer RPM Cylinder heads - Aluminum, 70cc Chamber, 170cc Intake, roller rockers, MSD 6200 ignition control, Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake manifold, and Edelbrock Performer Carb @ 600cfm. I have adjusted the timing several times between 6-10 degrees advance. The thing runs fine but has no real punch on the low end. I couldn't smoke the tires unless I popped the clutch at 4000 rpm.

It also has posi and the original M20 4 speed. Any comments on how I get more out of the low end?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Newskool

Last journal entry: New, Used grill arrived!
Last photo:

If I remember correctly you can't get as much torque from one of those very easily. I would suggest going into the 300's. For the price of a stock 350 there isn't much of a reason not to. Unless you want to save on gas. But if you're looking to do burnouts tires might be a bigger problem as I'm learning with my 295-50-r15's on my nova.

I'd say go with a stock 350, throw a new intake on it, headers, and a 600-650CFM edelbrock carb. Thats what I did with my nova and I never have to touch it. It runs awsome and I never have to retune it.

Thats if you're willing to go to a different motor.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

If I dump it for a 350 can I re-use most of this top end stuff?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:12 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

you can reuse almost everything on the engine, except the block, crank, and pistons. I would recomend using your heads, getting an AirGap RPM intake and going to a 383 and using a 268 VooDoo cam, it'll definitely give you the torque you want, but I would also invest in your favorite tire company's stock, because you'll be buying a lot of tires. And while the engine is out, it never hurts to slap in a 2000 stall converter.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:21 PM
Newskool

Last photo:

To be honest in my opinion, if this is just to be and around town fun kinda car I would stay fairly stock for now with the motor. A new intake and carb ontop of a nice 350 really cleans it up. New heads and a cam would help too but if you ask me they aren't all that necessary if you aren't all that serious into street racing etc. A clean 350 with a new intake, nice carbs and decent headers will normally satisfy your needs. And if it doesn't you can still throw in more and more money.

From my experience the cars themselves can use time and money a lot more then engines. Nice transmissions, rearends, suspension, brakes, tires, interiors. A fairly stock 350 done up right will get almost anyones attention including the drivers. Its kinda nice if theres something sharp for the people to look at once they hear you coming.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:09 PM
I've got A.D.D., want some?

might want to think Cam swap

Take off the Edelbrock Performance Plus Cam with Duration 278/ 288, Lift .420/ .442. which is made to make HP mid/high ends. IF you want some good ole torque get an RV cam or 4X4 cam good low and mid, check out COMP CAMS and Crane Cams

By the way saw a '64 ton truck with a 283, 3 granny speeds thou
Bigger ain't better saw a 283 truck kick a blown 350 Tbuck in the 1/4
Old 10-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Newskool

Last photo:

If you are looking for low end torque its normally easiest to just go bigger. I realize not all the time but most times thats the best way to go.

There's no replacement for displacement

Thats the saying I was always told.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:28 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

what gear ratio do you have, ifyou want to smoke tires put a linelock on it
Old 10-30-2006, 07:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdogger
From my experience the cars themselves can use time and money a lot more then engines. Nice transmissions, rearends, suspension, brakes, tires, interiors. A fairly stock 350 done up right will get almost anyones attention including the drivers. Its kinda nice if theres something sharp for the people to look at once they hear you coming.
Its already sharp to look at....A previous owner replaced the engine (it was a 327). I just think that now it's all look and no BVLLs.....Thanks for the input.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:26 PM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

From what I see you have 2 problems. First the heads. The chambers are much too large for a 283. You have around 8.5 to 1 static compression. That combined with that camshaft aren't going to make any real power, at least not the power you are looking for.
I had a 283 years ago in a 71 Camaro that made a lot of larger engines sit up and take notice. The heads had 60cc chambers with 1.94 intake valves and 1.5 exhausts. The cam was a Comp Cams 268 Hi Energy with 218 deg. @ .050 and .454 lift. I had it ground with 108 deg of lobe separation. This boosted the low end and mid range torque quite a bit. With a 3.08 gear and a 11" converter it would light up the G60's from a dead stop and ran mid 14's in the quarter on street tires. Fuel economy was good too. It made for a fun ride.
By the way, nice looking ride.

Barry
Old 10-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Newskool

Last photo:

Seeing as topfuel is speaking from personal experience I would have to put my vote with him. Like I pointed out in my other reply I always like the follow the saying, "there's no replacement for displacement." I follow that because I prefer moreso stock engines over a modified one. Less to worry about.

But I must say that thing would fly with a 350. I imagine a done up 327 would do it to.

That is one sharp looking car.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:06 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the comments... I am a bit cash strapped right now. I am eventually planning on possibly a zz4 but for the next year or 2 I'd like to make due with what I've got (283) but give it a little "umph".

Although I can tackle most mechanical stuff, I have never had the opportunity to pull and engine or rebuild one yet. I also can't really tell what aftermarket items fit well together.

I had figured that with all peppy 283's I had heard about, this one had some mismatched components. The previous owner didn't really know what he was doing either - obviously. I had run the static compression numbers using http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compstaticcalc.html and come up with < 8:1

Do you think I can swap the heads and leave the cam and still get some low-end?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:52 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

you can compensate by raising the compression with a head swap- but I would swap the pistons to raise the CR first- it's a little more indepth, but will actaully be cheaper than heads. A cam swap is the cheapest and easiest crutch to fix your mismatched engine. Your current cam would actaully work though if you could raise the compression to about 11:1 with those heads by swapping to a domed piston. Those are fairly good heads for a 283 and I would hate to see you throw them away. I would say stay away from a 350 crate and instead get your 283 to its best performance- I'm just tired of everyone swapping to a 350 because they are affraid of looking elsewhere. A 283 can make just as much hp, you just need to spin it a little higher.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sometimes it's easy to see that the factory had it right. The 283's came with small 58-60 CC chamber heads, and even at that, they didn't have alot of compression. Their port size also matched the small cubic inches. A 283-220 horse was a pretty snappy running mill in stock form.

I would use Top Fuel's recommendation, but maybe even a little tamer on the camshaft. I would think that a warmed up set of stock 283 heads with one step above the stock 327-300 horse cam would make it much snappier down low. 283's were naturally high revvers, so you really don't need to do anything special there.

Otherwise, you bore it .125, put in some 4.11's, 11.5:1 pistons and put in the 30/30 cam.

You will still need to dump the clutch at 4 grand, but watch out when you do!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:43 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

i will trade you my impala, but it has a 283 too,

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.