Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 283 vacuum advance
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 08:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

283 vacuum advance

so here is the deal fellas. I have been building a 54 chevy 210. I put in a rebuilt 283 with a stock points distributor. I have an edelbrock three deuce intake that was modified ages ago by someone running a 283 in a ford roadster(the guy i bought it from) to take three strombergs instead of three rochesters. So i am running it the same way that he was, running the 2 outside carbs with the center carb blocked off. here is my issue, if you haven t already guessed it. the old 97s have no venturi vacuum, the only vacuum port that i am aware of is on the manifold between the first and center carb...because it is compeltely below the carbs it seems that this isnt a ported vacuum but rather a constant vacuum and would in fact have to be a constant vacuum and would advance the distributor at idle. i am working on digging up the fittings to confirm this...but if this is the case i am looking for suggestions. basically i am looking to find out how to run the vacuum advance on this set up. when i recieved this manifold it the vacuum port was blocked off with what appears to be a compression fitting...oddly enough...as a pipe thread will not fit in it... anyway my point in it being blocked off makes me wonder if he ran a magneto...not that i know anything about mags...but i think they do without a vacuum advance. this is my first car and have learned a lot going along...this maybe something i am starting to understand a little too late. doc vette...hook a brother up
thanks ryan