Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 289 - Advice Needed / Modified Heads on Stock Bottom
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

289 - Advice Needed / Modified Heads on Stock Bottom

Hello:
I don't work on cars, so I am hoping for some advice on the following.
I have a 1963 Comet S22 Convertible with a 289 V8 / 2-barrel stock engine. I have just had the bottom of the engine rebuilt: bored out +.010 with new aluminum pistons, new stock cam - basically rebuilt to original.
The heads/valves were shot. I found a set of complete heads at a great price as follows:

Ford 289 Cylinder Heads
Small Chamber
Date Codes 6-A-3 & 6-A-13
These heads have Chevy valves in them.
Heads have 1.94 intake Valves. 1.6 Exhaust Valves.
8 Hardened Exhaust Seats installed. Valve Springs are good for 500 lift cam with 110 pounds closed and 280 open pressure.
3 Angle Valve Job. 16 New Valve Guides.
Heads have been resurfaced to 53 CC's.
Screw in studs and Guide Plates were installed.
The heads have been magnifluxed and pressure tested.
New seals have been installed.
The Exhaust Ports have been Ported to Header Gaskets for better flow.
(the seller of these heads said that he can make provisions for use with stock 289 exhaust manifolds)

My engine builder knows that I'm not trying to modify this engine, and advised me that these heads are 100% compatible with the "stock" bottom, stock camshaft, stock intake manifold and stock 2-barrel carb, and that the engine will run fine ... just that I won't be maximizing the potential of those heads.

Is there anything my engine builder may be overlooking ?

A friend of mine who is into racing strongly advised me against using these heads. He simply said that the heads will not work properly with a stock bottom & 2-barrel carb.

Any advice would be appreciated.