289 Build Underway - Final Cam Choice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 06:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

289 Build Underway - Final Cam Choice

Hello folks,
Well I am finally underway. 67 Mustang, 289. Block is at the machine shop now. Decked, Bored 30 over. Crank polished, rods reconned with new ARP rod bolts. Heads are just getting cleaned, decked and valve job.

Initially the engine will be fairly mild/stock (as with everbody else, I am on a tight budget). My goal was to build a fairly strong shortblock and just clean up the heads as I may go aftermarket down the road. One of my goals is for the car to be a stock appearing sleeper (as much power within my other parameters), very streetable, good idle, mileage, EMISSIONS (NY) etc., but with cam components that I can grow with if I do heads later. So, with that background, I have narrowed down my cam choices to three and would like your opinions, recommendation etc. Feel free to comment on the build (I know its mild), what kinda of #s I will see(TQ, HP etc) Thanks for your time.

For now:
Autolite 4100 1.08 venturis, 480cfm
Cast iron Ford intake
Factory manis or maybe tri y's (again the consideration here is the appearnace of a stock motor).
4.030 Speed pro Hypereutectics (9.5 to 1 with 54.5 cc stock heads + block and heads decked just to clean (- 2 thou total??) I am guessing close to 10 to 1)
ARP bolts throughout
Rebuilt c4 (stock rebuild, no shift kit etc.)
Stock TC
8 inch rear with (i believe) 2.8 or 3.0's (will prob upgrade at somepoint to a 3.25 traction lock)
Car will be primarily a cruiser with the occasional romp. No drags, racing etc.

Ok, so my short list of cams is either the:

Comp cams xe256h - K kit w/ matching springs etc.
1000-5200 rpm Strong torque thru low end and mid-range, good idle
477/484 256/268 212/218 110 lsa
Seems like would be the best choice for a relatively stock motor, but can I get more power and still be within my parameters? (especially the idle, Emissions)
Cost: approx 380

Comp cams xe262h- again k kit
#K31-238-3
1300-5600 rpm Excellent response, good mid-range, stock converter, 3.23-4.10 gear. 493/500 262/270 218/224 110
Of the two comp cams, I am leaning towards this one. It seams that if I go with better heads later this would be the more appropriate cam. Als what Comp Cams recommended, but I wasn't to thrilled wiuth the reps seeming indifferince to my questions. Kinda turned my off. However, I know they make a good product.)
Cost: approx 380

And the Dark horse:
Howards Cams

.475/.500 288/298, 214/224, 112 LC
Item :CL210031
For the same parts as in a comp cams K kit: Approx 320
Would be a Howards cam and lifters kit, Howards springs, retainers and locks and cloys tru roller timing set

Seems to me that the concern I had in going a step up to the xe262h comp cam (idle quality) may be somewhat mitigated by the 112 LSA of the Howards v the 110 on the comp. Otherwise they are very similar cams, no.'s wise. I know that the XE cams are supposed to have a more agressive ramp rate? or some other marketing thing I have read....someone give me the straight scoop. Will the Howards cam have a good/tame idle? What are the differences between the comp and Howards characteristics? Opinions on howard cams in general? I think I am leaning that way.

Thanks again!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Oddo nut

Last wiki edit: VW engine basics
Last journal entry: time lurches on
Last photo:
Location: sunny south(maybe rainy,haven't looked outside today) florida
Wiki Edits: 10

Re;289 build underway-final cam choice

Unfortunately,I have no experience with Howard cams, I have had real good luck with ford motorsports cams and also comp and isky,a little more pricey,but a alot of experience behind them.I'm not dissing Howard cams,I just am not familiar with them. Tom
Old 04-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,151 Times in 950 Posts
None of those cams will work with 10:1 static c.r. Short intake closing point will trap too much mixture, resulting in excessive dynamic compression ratio and detonation. Call your favorite cam grinder for a recommendation. I'd be thinking something in the 226-230 @ 0.050 range. If you want to operate the motor at lower rpm's, lower the c.r.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprecher48
Unfortunately,I have no experience with Howard cams, I have had real good luck with ford motorsports cams and also comp and isky,a little more pricey,but a alot of experience behind them.I'm not dissing Howard cams,I just am not familiar with them. Tom
Howard Cams is one of the oldest grinders around,great quality too! they date back to the '50's.Just for fun Google the "Howard Cam Special" take Ya back to the day!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:14 AM

Thanks guys,
Tech inspector, what compression ratio do you recomend. I can always put an oversized head gasket so that compression will be about 9.5 to one?

Not questioning your comment, but I did call comp cams and told them CR 10:1 and they recomended the XE262h.
Thanks for your replies thus far.
Mark
Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Hey Guys,
I spoke with a rep at Howard's cams and he said that 10:1 compression would be fine for their cam. Also said he would not go any higher on that cam. I think I am going with the howards. I can get the whole set-up for about 100 less then comp and what has sort off sealed it for me is the reps attitude and willingness to answer all my questions.

Any other opinions greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Mark
Old 04-29-2008, 01:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coda618
Hey Guys,
I spoke with a rep at Howard's cams and he said that 10:1 compression would be fine for their cam. Also said he would not go any higher on that cam. I think I am going with the howards. I can get the whole set-up for about 100 less then comp and what has sort off sealed it for me is the reps attitude and willingness to answer all my questions.

Any other opinions greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Mark
Wise choice! good customer service is hard to find these days and the folks at Howards will treat you right,I have seen a lot of praise from people who delt with them,Best of luck on your build!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Physically check your deck height with the replacement pistons. You may find that the pistons are lower in the block than what you think, this can alter your CR calculations a bunch.

later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 04-29-2008, 03:41 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,151 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coda618
Thanks guys,
Tech inspector, what compression ratio do you recomend. I can always put an oversized head gasket so that compression will be about 9.5 to one?

Not questioning your comment, but I did call comp cams and told them CR 10:1 and they recomended the XE262h.
Thanks for your replies thus far.
Mark
No problem. If they said use the XE262H, go with it.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:21 AM

Thanks everyone, the howards stuff is ordered an on the way. really came accross their company by accident. Was not aware of them. But, I also asked my machine shop guy and he had nothing but good things to say about howards as well. I also like that all their manufacturing is in the USA. the don't buy foreign blanks and grind them here. Big plus for me. Seems to me with Comp Cams, you are paying a premium for the name (certainly not for the cutomer service).

Remember, Buy USA..........American livelyhoods depend on it. It always amazes me how people rail about China's human rights violations, communism, lead paint on toys, etc., yet virtually everything is manufactured in China these days and people don't think twice about buying Chinese and other foreign made products.

Sorry for the tangential rant.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.