Hot Rod Forum banner

289 Engine noise HELP

2K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  eloc431962 
#1 ·
I have a new banging in the engine that I can't find. I have adjusted the valves 3 times and it's still there. It's at the begng of the video and comes back at the end. It doesn't stop when plug wires are pulled one at a time and seems to happen at all rpm. Please help, any ideas.

It's a 289 with aluminum heads and roller rockers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i8H8dkYQ3o

#2 ·
That`s a odd noise, it sounds louder on the drivers side, it kinda sounds like a loose panel such as a loose clutch cover. When you move to the passengers side it kinda sounds like bent pushrod or collapsed lifter. In other words it sounds like it`s valve train related. Remove all the pushrods and check them for straightness or damage. Also check the rocker arms for cracks.

#7 ·
I saved the picture and flipped it over. Even so I`m not sure if it`s just light reflection I see, or if the rocker was ground down for clearance or the last possibility the rocker is making contact with the valve cover.
But check out the pushrod end of rocker number 5. It`s prolly just the light reflection but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Attachments

#8 ·
I would really like to know which aluminum heads with P/N you put on it, i don't see any guide plates or i just can't see them anyway do they have the guide plates ?
I think the rockers are not running true on the valve sitting off side a little JMO or well it looks like that to me anyway.
And like DV said could be hitting the valve covers those valve covers are not very tall. I still think it's in the valve train though. And would like to know exactly which heads you went with.

Cole

#10 ·
Well it might be the starter. I worked on it all day and went to start it and got a click and not engine spin. Sounds like the starter engages but doesn't spin. Battery tested fine by the autoparts store. I bypassed the solenoid on the fender and get a click but no spin. I wonder if the teeth were staying out.

#18 ·
Found possible bad lifter

OK we may be coming to the end. So I emailed the video to the engine builder and he gave me some ideas but said it sures sounds like a lifter. Before he could come look at it I took the valve covers off and the exhaust valve on #8 cylinder wasn't squirting oil like the rest. When I push on the valve side the ticking stops.

See video.

Looks like the intake is coming off. I'll report back after I replace the lifter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j-Az1M6YQc

#21 ·
X2 Going to find metal in your oil pan/filter. If your real lucky you can get by with just a cam/lifter swap. Some metal may have got into the oil pump, some may have got thru the oil filter bypass and into the bearings. Hows your oil pressure? It would be a real pain to go thru all the work to replace the cam, only for the oil pressure to start dropping. If it were mine, I'd have to yank it for a rebuild. Sorry, but thats my opinion. Better safe than sorry.
ssmonty

#22 ·
Closing thread

Hi all,

Thank you for all the help. This is a great resource. It never stops amazing me when I go to a shop or parts store these days and get told, we don't have anyone that knows those old cars.

So I replaced the lifter and put it all back together and did an oil change. She runs great so I'm going to run it like that for now and see if it holds. I will talk to the engine builder tomorrow and see what he thinks but for now I'll run her.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.