289 misfiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006, 08:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

289 misfiring

I have a 289 that is misfiring on:1-4-6-7. They are all in the same plane in the manifold. I've changed the plugs,wires,points,cap & rotor. I checked the rocker arms and they're all working. Any ideas where to look next?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2006, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

I had a similar problem on my 350, 2 cylinders with a dead miss and a pop back through the carb under light acceleration. I checked cap, rotor, wires, points, carb, rockers for lift and compression. I still had a miss and every test I ran said there was nothing wrong. What I finally found was 3 broken valve springs. One intake causing the pop in the carb and 2 exhaust causing the miss. I am not saying that is your problem but if you check everything and cant find it take a look.. By the way I ran mine with the valve covers off and you couldnt see or hear it. I only found it after I removed the spring.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:13 PM
OldSchool MotorHead

If they are all on the same plane of the manifold, and you have a dual plane manifold, then half of your carburetor is not giving gas, or there is a major vacume leak on one side of the carb.

Simple test: While engine is idling, take a can of propane, like for a small torch for sweating plumbing pipe, and feed the suspect barrel some propane. Since you are feeding 4 cylinders, give it a decent amount. If the engine starts to hit on those cylinders, then fix the carb. Do not, and I mean DO NOT discharge the propane next to the cap and rotor and wires. A stray spark could flash the propane and you'd lose all your hair & your eyes and maybe your lungs if you are breathing in at the time. Also, wear protective facegear, and protective gloves, and wear a cotton shirt. If a polyester shirt catches fire, then it will melt onto your skin, but a cotton shirt will only burn your skin.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:36 PM
NTI Grad.

Last photo:

lol... thats one hell of a test. if it were me i'd just take some gas and pour down that side of the carb... not pour, but get like a squirt bottle and give it a few good squirts. wouldnt that work too?

lol, beats getting flash burned if that propane ignites and losing all your facial hair and your shirt.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:42 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The propane bottle is to be held uptight at all times. THEXTON makes a special wand or one can be fashioned from hose and a spark plug boot. You merely move the wand to the carb air inlet, open the valve until the idle begins to stabilize then move the wand around until you find the leak.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.