For any that may be interested....
I experienced and perfomred my first carb rebuild on Sat. I Picked up a kit and an extra set of carb to intake gaskets. Carb removal was easy, I placed a clean rag in the intake and took the carb to a table I prepared especially for this occasion. I did not rally have a good set of instructions or diagrams that came with the kit but managed to muddle through it by carefully laying each piece out so that they would not end up in the wrong place. "I still managed to mix up a critical set but figered it out later." Anyway I went through 3 big cand of card cleaner 1/2 gallon of solvent and two old toothbrushes and got her cleaned and back together. I did not swap the jets or needle valves as the required a braod screw driver and I was afraid to bugger them up. Well all told it certianly ran better with about a pound of crud off of it. I still need to adjust her back in as she is a little rich right now and my kgarage pass expired with the wife late Saturday night. However it was almost extended when she tossed me a sleeping bag.
I took the time to reset the points and finally got her to idle right. If I get another garage pass I plan to set the inlets, choke, timimg and slow idle.
Wish me luck I seem to be making progress.