289 vs. 302 whats better for my mustang - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2003, 08:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

427 vs 428

I guess I didnt exactly make myself clear on this debate. In the late 60's most of the major Stock car guys supposedly opted to use the 428 internals in the 427 side oiler block, for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Fact is a lot of vehicles that were tagged as having 427's did in fact actually have 428's, which are both from the parent FE block, Cobras included. From articles I read back in the late 60's, concerning stock car racing, particularly, the 428 guts in the side oiler was a popular combo, and the Ford gurus of that time, in engine building is where I got the info that the 428 combo was the preferred bore stroke combo.
As for the higher RPM capabilities, I guess its a matter of preferance. but then in the half dozen 302's that Ive built over the years, I used 289 rods with pistons that were cut .065 off the deck. If you remember the Boss 302, it had the same rod length as the 289. Dont get me wrong, the 289 was a great engine, as I have had a few of them, but I will stick with the 302. Ive easily spun 302's as high as I did the 289's, both with and with out the slightly longer rods. Please dont forget that somewhere around 71 or 72, the manufacturers changed from flywheel horsepower ratings to differential ratings, which gives the engine lower output numbers. The rule of thumb we used to use was to get the flywheel horsepower of a differential rated engine, add about 50 horses to the figure. This was to compensate for drivetrain losses.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2003, 11:55 AM

I would like to thank those that came up with there opinions and shared hem.

i am in the process of finding out how much it would cost to get my smoky 289 engine to run as it should be running .

with true American horse power and pride
Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 PM

im only 17. but cars are my life. from my view, and understanding of the basics of some motors, the only difference i see really between the 289 vs. the 302, is about 10 hp and 10 tq. A beefed up 289, in my opinion, is a better motor. As you've already been informed, it is for the most part a more reliable motor. the small difference in the cubic inches may mean lower revs and a little more torque low-end with the 302, but if u set everything up right and spend wisely, u'll have just as great, if not even greater a motor with a beefed up 289 vs the 302.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Glad to hear what you have to say about the 289 i have always love the 289.
But this thread is 7 yrs old and the OP hasen't been on since then. Just letting you know.

Cole

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.