Hot Rod Forum banner

29 Coupe wheel well help needed

840 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  baspinall 
#1 ·
Well I started to dig into the body last week. PO had the wheel wells covered in bondo and fiberglass tape. When I got down to the metal this is what I have to deal with. I don't have a lot of metal work experience but hey how do you get it if you don't start somewhere right. There was a newer inner wheel well panel sandwiched on the old rusty one. I know I will be replacing these on both sides. My question is where would you cut the panel to make the repair? At the edge (red) or up a bit (yellow). My feeling is cut higher up. Hoping I can use a shrinker/spreader tool to make this out of a piece of 90 degree sheet metal? As far as I know they aren't made anywhere. One more. I would like to remove my roof and separate the panels. I removed all the bolts and the nails in the pillars. Can't seem to get the roof off the body. Don't want to beat on it. I will be needing to make a good bit of metal repair on these where the roof and body meet as well. But that's a later post.
Thanks for any info.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would want to cut about where the yellow line is and make a neat cut in order to fit in the new metal..the roof and body is probably rusted together so you may need to use a sawzall carefully in the seam to get them apart..shrinker/stretcher is a great tool and needed for this sort of work as well as a beater bag and some hammers and slappers...Metal work is not all that difficult just takes patience and observation of how the metal works as you work it..Looks like some fun and you will fairly skilled by the time you are done with this project..

Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.