29 Ford...Box the frame? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Some Folks Don't Have Vision!

Wiki Edits: 0

29 Ford...Box the frame?

Hi, Guys!
On the 29 Ford truck I'm trying to put together, I'm putting in a flattie and the stock trans from a 52 Ford. With the extra weight of the flattie, etc., is it necessary to box the frame? If so, does it need to be the entire length of the frame, or just where the engine is? The reason I ask is that I'm picturing all sorts of nightmares once it's completely boxed regarding such things, as, say, mounting the steering box. Won't I need some sort of adapter to get from the steering box, THROUGH the boxed frame and to the pitman arm? If it means anything, I'm trying to put this little jewel together just to drive around and put as few new parts on it as possible. I'm on a tight budget and I'm not trying to win any shows or anything. It'll probably more of a rat rod than anything else...
Thanx, Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I boxed my 31 full length. It does not affect my steering box at all. I am using a 67 Mustang steering box. What steering box are you using? Are you cross steering or side steering?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If I were you I'd box it now instead of finding out you twisted your frame a few years down the road.
I dont quite understand what you mean by the steering box giving you problems. Mount it over frame level or under and you'll be fine (Im asuming).

Mike
Old 12-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

45 years ago when I put a flathead in my A coupe I used a 32 Ford K member. No boxing was done in my area at that time. I used the book "Ford Speed Manual" published by Floyd Clymer and written by Fred "Bill" Fisher. It was written in 1952 The K member stopped any frame twisting with my relatively stock 48 Merc Flathead. The flathead had a "3/4 race cam" and an Edmunds dual carb manifold and Weiand finned heads. Today it would be cheaper to build a whole new frame than to buy a stock 32 K member.

The problem with using the 32 K member was that if you wanted to remove the tranny you had to remove the engine.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:09 PM

Many, many V8s were installed in As using 32 K members, chunks of 33-34 X-members OR, surprise,surprise, nothing at all done to the frame to make it stiffer. If your V8 is a stocker or just a mild hop-up, you can do it without boxing. Of course, many guys would change to a 32 or 33-34 steering box or even a 37-41 box turned under like Mustang box, but others lived with the stock A steering.
You can easily fab up a simple bolt-in or weld-in crossmember and X-legs and enjoy your ride.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Some Folks Don't Have Vision!

Thanks a bunch!

I appreciate the info, guys! I'm not sure which way I'm going to go on the steering yet (side or cross steer), though as far as a box, I'm trying to finagle the steering box and column from a 55 Ford F-100 at the local junkyard . I'm still in the hummer stage of this build, meaning I'm standing back from my soon to be rod with my hand stroking my chin as my eyes glaze over and all I say is: "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" . I understand I can get more room for headers, etc. if I go with the cross steer, but I'm also trying to do this on a budget, too. So if I can get away with side steer for the time being, well, I probably will. The main thing now is to get the little sucker on the road so I can drive the little jewel around. I'll shake it down, figure out what works for me, and go from there depending on what time and cash will allow... Thanks again!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.