'29 Ford Model A Suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2005, 02:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

'29 Ford Model A Suspension

I have a 29 Model A that I want to convert to a street rod, but I have a question about the front suspension. Is it possible (practical) to leave the Model A suspension as is and convert to disk brakes without killing myself the first time I drive the car? We plan on putting a 302 in instead of the stock 4 cylinder engine it currently has. Thanks for any help for this "rookie" hot rodder.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2005, 02:40 PM
a newbie all dressed up

i am building a 29 Tudor now and found that after the research that it was just as cheap to order a whole rolling chassis with all the components on it already. That way you start with a good platform instead of having to box the frame you got and the change all the suspension around. It worth the extra money in my book. just me 2 pennies worth
Old 11-29-2005, 08:51 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarneti123
I have a 29 Model A that I want to convert to a street rod, but I have a question about the front suspension. Is it possible (practical) to leave the Model A suspension as is and convert to disk brakes without killing myself the first time I drive the car? We plan on putting a 302 in instead of the stock 4 cylinder engine it currently has. Thanks for any help for this "rookie" hot rodder.

John
You can leave the front suspension "as is" and still convert to disc brakes. Yes it is practical and much safer than the original stock mechanical brakes.

You CAN NOT leave the stock front radius rod "as is" if you wish to install any engine other than a Ford Model A, B or C 4-cylinder. You can leave the stock radius rod as is for the installation of a '32-'48 Ford flathead if you use a (modified to fit) '32 Ford 'K' member and early Ford transmission. For the installation of the engine you mention, you will have to either 'split' the front radius rod or go to hairpins or 4-bar system. The same would be true for the installation of any rear axle setup that would handle an updated engine.

The original frame should be boxed for strength for any updated engine.

Your original question gave me the impression that you want to convert your Model 'A' without removing the body from the frame. This can be done, but it is easier to take it down to the bare frame and go from there.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:10 AM

Thank you very much for your insight. You hit my question right on the head! I DO plan to take the body off the frame and box it as you recommend. Thanks again!

John
Old 11-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

There are many frame manufacturers who do the Model A chassis in reproduction.....

TCI is one of the better known ones. They sell the above chassis for $860. All brand new, built in a jig with the proper spacings, a new front cross member and a rear cross member.....Which is vastly stronger that a old metal fatigued, welded on Stock Model A frame. When you take away the amount of money you get when you sell the rolling complete Model A chassis.......the TCI unit is almost free....

You can buy the chassis more complete.....as your pocketbook allows ( 32 Frame shown in red paint ).....or buy parts and pieces and progress as time and money allows.......which is how I did my last 32 chassis .( shown below )

This is a photo of the 32 Ford chassis I just did for my 32 Ford 3W coupe....and I used a set of original 32 frame rails.....and the rest is TCI stuff. I also have TCI suspension under my 32 Ford roadster ......shown in my avatar....

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.