Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 292 chevy l6
Thread: 292 chevy l6
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 12:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by QParker
Does anyone know if there is a 292 stroker out there? or another straight 6 crank that would increase stock stroke?

I want to make this engine as strong as I can on a budget, but still have something I can depend on. Give me some suggestions on a cam, intake (4BBL or 3 carb), compression, Should I mill the head or buy pistons, ect.
I'm shooting for at least 300+ HP~ 1HP per CI
I want a good daily driver that can occasionally burn rubber, but I don't want to go the SB route just because everyone has one and I want to stand out a little. I've seen 292's that can easily do a 10 sec 1/4 mile... OH, this is the stock 216 from a 1949 chevy 3/4 ton pickup
Pick up a copy of Santucci's book "Chevrolet Inline Six-Cylinder Power Manual". This is a super good read for anybody looking to the Chevy inline 6 for power. Reviews at at Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Inli.../dp/1931128154

As CNC said and as you'll read, the trick, or at least a big trick is in the head. Years ago we were happy with taking out the boss in the middle of the intake passage. As you'll see in the book, Kay Sissel came up with a gadget to change the contour of port floor to give a better entry on the short side radius to the valve.

Always think of the piston as part of the combustion chamber as with any engine build. Squish and quench are friends that let you run more compression per octane of fuel you're buying. While a lot of configuration details come into play making it hard if not impossible to predict the engine's ability to control detonation, the general rules are to keep the squish/quench deck with a steel rod in the range of .040 to .060 inch at TDC. If you need to increase volume above the piston use a piston that is dished only under the valve pocket, do not use pistons with circular dishes. If you can, use a flat top piston, if you must reduce chamber volume use a dome but as little of that as possible. If you use a domed piston, Singh slots cut into the piston rather than the head are useful for getting the flame front over the dome.

300 hundred horse from a 292 is easy to accomplish. Once the head and piston selection is set up, like any-other engine, it comes down to the cam, carbs and exhaust. balance and damping on the front of the crank are important to get an inline to live a long time at high power outputs. In line blocks are not as stiff as V design blocks, so keeping odd moments of inertia from developing on the crank to be transmitted thru the bearings into the block is an important undertaking for long term reliability. In lines tend to be sensitive to crank harmonics, so damping of vibrations is of significant importance.

Bogie