Hot Rod Forum banner

292 Straight 6

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  HemmiGremmie 
#1 ·
Well the ol '63 stepsides getting drug out tomorrow...

the parts list is growing and its up to 221 bucks... :D

What i wanna know is,
What kinda power can one expect from a 292 straight 6 ..all stock

#2 ·
stock specs for 1963 292cu.in. truck engine was 165 hp but for low end torque and a really sweet sound (with split 6 headers and exhaust) its pretty hard to beat.
Some say you can bore up to .120 over but I wouldnt recomend over .060 for street. Throw in some offy or fenton add-ons and 2 or 3 carbs and you'll have a smooth power plant with a very sweet sound.
There are a lot of variations to building straight 6's have fun with it and keep us informed on your progress.

GL ,
Tech

#3 ·
deffinately will, i'm throwing a battery to it tomorrow.. the gas tanks rusted [partial reason for it being parked]
so i'll take my little make-shift gas tank (snapper lawn mower tank) and hook it to the fuel pump or just dump some gas in it..

the igniton is like seriouslyy ffeddd up .. the key is stuck but with a lot of jiggling and putting it in a little at a time it moves.. then the hotwired switch under the dash :D cranks it.. its 3 on the tree so if anyone knows the shifter pattern for that please helppp haha so i dont run over something.. once i get it to fire and run.. i'll get the air tank, put air in the tires.. [ then go get the title from my grandpa] then move it a little if i can ... once i get some of the little stuff fixed were going to move it to my buddys house and put it under the shed at his house.. [already got the OK from his dad] then the REAL work begins

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.