2bbl to 4bbl conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2004, 12:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

2bbl to 4bbl conversion

just found out my 66 mustang is running on a 2bbl carb, i AM going to deffinently switch to the 4bbl but what do i need to convert the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

Re: 2bbl to 4bbl conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by calimstng66
just found out my 66 mustang is running on a 2bbl carb, i AM going to deffinently switch to the 4bbl but what do i need to convert the two.
the manifold will proably be a 2 bbl as well, so either a 4bbl to 2 bbl adapter plate which probably won't give much if any increase in performance, or a 4bbl manifold to accompany the new carb.

so with the manifold you will need intake gaskets and some gasket in a tube instead of the cork front and rear peices, intake manifold bolts if you arn't going to re-use the old ones, and the carb will probably come with a carb gasket but if it doesn't you'll need one of those too. And access to a timing light as well, since you need to pull the distributor to swap manifolds.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Header design
Last journal entry: And still more pics...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

4 bbl to 2 bbl adapter plate? Never seen one of those. Where would you buy it from?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:06 PM

even if i did find one I wouldn't buy it as the small 2 holes for the 2bbl are not large enough to flow what the 4 bbl can put out so i would assume you would have a lot of drivability problems and well it would look stupid
Jesse
Old 04-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

i've seen one myself and thought the same thing
"why would anyone do such a stupid thing"

dunno who makes em, but the shady local speed shop owner tried to sell me one years ago
Old 04-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

I haven't seen them for 20 years or so. Just an aluminum 1 "thick block with a tapered inside. They do work but not as efficient as a 4 bbl manifold. They were used more before edelbrock and other manufactures made manifolds more cheap and plentiful. Go with an aftermarket manifold.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:42 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

The adapters are made by several companies still. I think you can still get through Summit,Jeg's,Speedway and a number of other places. Although I would go with a manifold, a stock 2bbl engine won't be able to use all the extra flow without a cam swap too. The adapter could hold you over until you have the money for a complete swap. The newer ones have tapered holes and flow as much as a stock 2bbl engine can take.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodz428
The adapters are made by several companies still. I think you can still get through Summit,Jeg's,Speedway and a number of other places. Although I would go with a manifold, a stock 2bbl engine won't be able to use all the extra flow without a cam swap too. The adapter could hold you over until you have the money for a complete swap. The newer ones have tapered holes and flow as much as a stock 2bbl engine can take.
You have a 4bbl running on the primaries which have a lower cfm than your current 2bbl (are you running lean?). Open the 4barrel and you are "flowing as much as the stock 2bbl engine can take" plus some. Where is the additional gas going ? Thinking about getting a double pumper ? Chances are you will wash your cylinder walls down with raw gas. Save yourself a lot of heartburn and problems. Save up and get a good carb,manifold,cam,and headers. You won't regret it. Been there done that about 40 years ago.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.