2k Urethane Primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014, 07:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

2k Urethane Primer

Hi Everyone,
Quick question- I made a mistake and primed my 51 Chevy front fenders which were just sandblasted with Nason Select prime 421-19. I did not etch or epoxy prime first. ( should of read tech sheet) Now what do I do- sand and remove the 2k primer or do I just move ahead and leave the 2k on the fenders. Can I epoxy prime over the 2k. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Don

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Best practice would be to sand off the 2K with a DA and 80 grit (won't take long) and then 2-3 coats epoxy, then re-coat with the 2K for blocking (unless you want to invest in SPI epoxy and avoid 2K all together). I like to use black epoxy over the bare metal and gray 2K (or gray epoxy) for the blocking process. The black shows through the gray as soon as you hit it when blocking, showing high and low spots easily, and you can stop sanding before hitting metal. Think of it as using guide coat, but backwards, instead of sanding til the guide coat is mostly gone, you sand until you start to see black spots. This way you can always have at least 2 coats of epoxy sealing the bare metal, no matter how many times you block. Just how I would handle it at my shop, others may have differing opinions.

Kelly
Old 06-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Custom Paint Manufacturer

Last photo:

Great advice from Kelly. It will be easier to fix now than a year from now when you may have a lot of road rash and/or corrosion starting. Shouldn't take long to buzz it back off.

Will
carolinacustoms (06-09-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 04:14 AM

2k Urethane Primer

Will/Kelly,
Thank you both for your great advice. Definitely want to do this the right way.
Don
Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Nason 2k select primer isnt too bad as far as a urathane primer goes but as you know epoxy should go on bare metal.....However Nason epoxy is not very good and for about the same price you can get a very good epoxy if you call SPI and order some,it's worth the extra effort and waiting a day for it to come in the mail,if you call them they might even have a distributor nearby...Think of it as the foundation and like a house the foundation is very important...Nason used to be inexpensive and I've used a lot of it now its not worth what they want...go with SPI ,get quality materials at a fair price not overpriced crap like Nason that wont last...Dupont and PPG have completely lost their minds and their prices are ridiculus.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
...Dupont and PPG have completely lost their minds and their prices are ridiculus.
Deadbody, can you elaborate on this statement? I am a 1st time painter and plan to use PPG paint (not primers or anything) for my project. I don't know much of what's going on in the paint market and researching here to get smarter.

Thanks...Al
Old 06-27-2014, 06:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I get everything I can from SPI ,great quality products at resonable prices.
they make very good paint but the colors are limited so when I need a color they dont have I had to go to the PPG dist. because they're very close (1 mile) and hate it...they recently moved and I'm glad,now I can cut them out of my life completely...I'll be using Wanda paints as my secondary paint from now on,and looking forward to it...SPI is always my first choice...
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
Methodical (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 07:36 AM

Last photo:

Don't use PPG, you can get other quality products for a lot less. Look into ProSpray, I've used Wanda long ago and would use it again today, lesonal is good but will be more expensive than Wanda or Prospray.

Also it might be worth giving coatings store here a shot. Never tried his stuff yet but tech support would be better than with any of these other companies.

Also, if you're a first time painter and not using SPI that's a mistake. You just get so much tech support 7 days a week from the owner and it's information that will make or break your paint job when the **** starts going down at 5 pm on Sunday afternoon.

I use their 2k after epoxy. I really hate it when the pros here tell a first timer to use epoxy in lieu of 2k because it's not going to work anywhere near as well for you for what you are wanting it to do, which is build. Sometimes they forget what it's like to still suck at this.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizer For This Useful Post:
John long (06-27-2014), Methodical (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 07:49 AM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

That is of course if you spray epoxy first then do all your body work on top of the epoxy then when done epoxy again over done body work. I though I wasted all of time spraying primer surfacer an sanding it almost all of. If you have a lot of low spots that are like 2 or 3 pieces of paper ( in thickness) low then its a good thing, I didn't have much of that.

Last edited by dogwater; 06-27-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

Yes 2k over the epoxy!!

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.