2nd gen Fbody alternator. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 11:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

2nd gen Fbody alternator.

I was wondering how many amps these factory alternators put out? It is the one on my 78 camaro.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2005, 01:19 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

http://rcboat.com/Brian's%20stuff/camaro_database.htm

63 amp
105 amp with serpentine belt
Old 03-24-2005, 01:32 AM

Darn wish I had the 103 amper :/ Oh well not to big a deal at least i know now. Is there any way to tell how many amps the car uses during its heaviest load (night time and raining. So the wipers and lights would be on + ignition)? I used to have a caddy with a sub in there and I must have killed at least 6 alternators before I finaly took the sub and amp out. Basicly I'm trying to figure out how many amps would be ok to add to the system with out killing this alternator. Maby Cadillac just uses a week alternator or sence ever thing is electronic on them it was already near its max.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

altenator

doc here

The Cheapest way is to go to a bone yard that has emergancy vehicles in it. Wrecked Police cars, Paramedic fire vehicles, private ambo's, even Taxi cabs (since most were cop cars in a prior life) The altenators in these vehicles will range from 165 amps to 235 amps. And if your real lucky the guy at the parts counter wont know the difference and charge you "standard" price.

To find out what your total system draw is go to any good electrical shop that has an inductive amp probe. THEY can monitor your system while running it at a full load. OR you can just install a good quality accurate D'arsenol or digital amp meter and learn how to intrepret the readings.

If you do score one of these, don't forget to gauge your wiring for the upgrade.

Doc

BTW, The PD cars around here run a 225 amp system to support the light bars, Wig Wags, MDT's (in car crime computer) Spots, Motorolla 100 watt VHF radio, Motorolla 200 watt UFH radio, In Car Camera system, Lojak tracking system and speciallized anit~theft system..(can't even steal a cop car anymore without dispatch knowing where your at)In addition to supporting the regular Crown Vic system.
We get about 3 a year ending up in the bone yards around here and the Altenator is usually the FIRST thing to get nabbed...so you got to check often.Watch the local newspaper for cop cars that get crunched (usually while chasing sombody)

Last edited by docvette; 03-24-2005 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:39 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Tsk, tsk, tsk....Doc.

Are you talkin' about the old..."boneyard deception trick"?

Might work, but most of those buggers seem to know what's what these days....at least around here.......Of course, you might get the owners kid, who doesn't give a crap...................

Budget RVs
Old 03-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

old habits...

Doc Here..

Poncho,

I guess old habits die hard....LOL

I actually have a guy locally, that runs an "Old School yard"...He spends 90% of his day propped back in his chair, NEVER moves unless it's lunch or a fire...

uses his computer to hold down things like rotors converted to ashtrays...A keyboard to him, is where he stores the keys for the "Runners"...

You come in and ask for a certain part, He'll tell you..."Yeah, I got one of those cars...Third row back, about mid isle...Hope you brought some tools...

You Come back with your part, and 5 other things you found, that you wanted / Needed...put it on the counter, he looks at it, strokes his chin, and say's awwww $20 bucks oughta do it"....

No Cash register, or inventory system, he writes you a receipt, and puts the cash in his pocket....

Must drive his Insurance Company up the wall...but he does a high Volume of business !

I once made a deal with him for an 85 Vette, Running, no body damage, good black on black paint, had a broken glass top and interior damage from sitting in the rain without the top...For $3000.00 Drive it Home! With a little clean up and minor repair, fresh smog,and current tags, the car would EBAY for 4 times that amount....

Besides getting good deals there, I like it because it reminds me of when I was a young street rodder, and spent Saturday "Exploring" The local Bone yard for Cars, Engines and parts for the next project...35 years ago...when you could find an all metal Deuce, intact for $50, by the score...Tow it home!

I have taken both son's and Nephew to this yard as they grow up, in hopes they will get that old school fever and start projects of their own...at least good memories as they get older...To pass along...

No Sterile Office with Muzak in the background, Plants in a window box, a sparkling water vending machine, where a Coke machine once stood, A 3 piece Couch and Chair set with end and coffee tables that would envoy my living room set..junk yard dogs replaced by motion detectors and IR beams...with camera's....with a guy in a 3 piece suit punching computer keys on his "Inventory" list, With headgear/headset, that would equal a comm system on a 747...to Call up his "Parts Technicians" from the yard...A "Parts Technician" in a Clean white jumpsuit, with name tags like Fabio, or Lance...with manicured nails...A 20 year old "Executive Secretary" Named Buffy whose real goal in life is to be an actress...and you hear the guy answer the phone:"No this Isn't Bob's wreckers" It is "Bob's Environmentally Friendly Automotive Recycling" who may we serve you?

You finally get your part, Gooseneck for a 95 350? ...$65.00 plus tax...jeeze...gotta pay to keep Lance in manicures...and the waiting room is lookin' a bit ratty, maybe executive leather on those couches...and gee...the Avian guy is coming in tomorrow to refill the machine...and the Latte machine needs service...And "Buffy" wants to go to Vegas Friday...

not just a hobby...but an adventure....(or a sitcom at best!)

Doc
Old 03-28-2005, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the tips. The one time I'v been to a junk yard me and my friend of corse had no idea that you were suposed to "check" in with the guy first. We just wandered around and didn't find any thing and as we were leaving the guy was like you guys gona check in? We were like na we don't see any thing of intrest. How much would a D'arsenol or digital amp meter run me that would be good enough to monitor the load. Right now the only thing I'v added to the car is new radio (10 amp fuse) and my custom pc (10 amp fuse). Of corse the old radio was also 10 amp. I was looking at adding a smaller sub and amp. the amp has a 30 amp fuse on it.

Last edited by hcker2000; 03-28-2005 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Power

Doc here,

The Stock alternator should support that system if that's all you have.

You can find those gauge kits anywhere from $19.95 to $150.00 at your local Auto parts store...Just a matter of personal preference and cash in your pocket..The higher end units tend to be more accurate.

When you install your power amp, check the total draw of the amp If it's much higher than 30, and your planning to operate it full time, you may consider the alternator upgrade...

You can buy a New or reman at your local auto parts store, but they tend to get a bit spendy....couple hundred bucks for 100 amp...just for starters..

Doc
Old 03-29-2005, 01:00 AM

I had the old one on my cadilac rewound by an electric guy here in town. He said it was puting out 120 amp. It was cheap to get done (30 I think) but the quality was crappy there was about an 1/8th inch of in and out on the alternator. If I got pick up and amp meter how can I hook it up to the car to see total system load? Just hook the positive to the charging post (or probably the battery + would work) and the battery ground? Also how close is to 63 amp is to close for comfort?
Old 03-29-2005, 04:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Charging

Doc here,

Amp Gauges read Load in Series with the load, (source--load) not parallel ( power--Ground) to it the circuit, never across it. Volt Meters are Parallel..(power---Ground) or across the source.

Your gauge will have specific instructions on how to install it, with 2 or 3 options..pick the best for your application, and follow it.

For a Stock system, 63 amp should be just fine..Provided it's in good shape.

If you add on from there...then you want to consider the alternatives..Count up all your amps and match the alternator accordingly, as it stands now you should have a little room to play with.

Sounds like your Electric guy just threw in a diode pack and called it good...And told you it was a rewind/rebuild....

Any GOOD re-manufacturer will at LEAST install new bearings/bush kits, (to stop shaft play) New brushes,springs and holders, New Diode pack, turn the armature, new regulator (if internal) at a minimum.

And $30 bucks isn't even gonna cover the cost of parts (unless he gets a lot better break then do I..), much less the labor...I'd stay away from that guy!
There's lot's of those "Make ~A~Buck Chuck's out there...he sounds like one of them.

Doc
Old 03-29-2005, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the info man. Yea I'm not sure what I was thinking about the guage because amprage is always mesured in series with the load. The computer I installed can draw up to 10 amps threw the power supply but when I checked it it never went above 7 amps so that give me a little more room. It's to bad this multi meter I got will only handle 10amp max for testing. The sub an amp I plan to install will probably get ran just about every single time I'm in the car as I like music. So you think I should be ok so long as I dont add any thing but this sub and amp (this is the last thing I plan to add)?

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.