Hot Rod Forum banner

2wd to 4x4 700r4

9K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TroyBoy 
#1 ·
I cracked the case on my 1985 K5 Blazer's tranny. It's a 4x4 700r4. My buddy "the mechanic" gave a sweet deal on a 2wd 700r4. Can I use it? The shaft is like 6 inches longer and would not fit into my transfer case. I am under the impression that you can not use a 2wd 700r4 in place of a 4x4 700r4 without switching to full time 2wd. Which I just can't have.

#5 ·
Since he stated that he cracked his existing case, the other one will still work, just swapping the parts he needs to use the transfer case instead of the 2WD tailshaft housing.

A LOT of work, but it's just to be considered as a rebuild as everything will have to be removed to swap the parts to the other case. And you can get away with the dust cover that came with the 2WD transmission.

#6 ·
Ok, Thanks guys.

I found a guy with a case for the same tranny I have. He wants $170 is that good or is there better prices out there.

Sounds like the best thing to do is just switch out the cases. What is involved in doing that? I know I need special tools. What are they? I'lll probably trust that to a more experienced mechanic.

or looks like the other option is to change the output shafts. Is that very difficult?

#7 ·
The price you got is probably about right, I've seen them from $50.00 to $200.00. There are some special tools you will need to disassemble the trans so if you don't have them and don't have the experience of rebuilding an automatic you might want to leave that up to someone who has as you may do damage to trans or have to take it out after you are done and have it redone again. Do it right the first time and forget it is what I always say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.