2WD TH350 to 4WD TH350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2003, 09:44 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

2WD TH350 to 4WD TH350

i have an 82 chevrolet silverado 4x4 that i need a new transmission for. the deal is i know a guy that has a 74 gmc truck that has a newer crate motor 350 and a rebuilt turbo 350 in it, but it's a 2 wheel drive. he only wants $700 for it so i'm really eager to jump on it. my question is will i have any problem switching the turbo 350 into my truck. i don't know much about transmissions, but from what i've looked at, all i have to do is pull the tailshaft off and bolt the transfer case inbetween it and the transmission. is this true? or should i just forget the whole truck and rebuild the transmission? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2003, 09:59 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Yes, That's all you gotta do. Replace any seals and gaskets while you are at it. Saves time then to wiat untill it goes south.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:15 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

As I recall, the T350 for the 4x4 has a shorter shaft than the short shaft that is in cars and 2wd trucks. It is a matter of changing the output shaft to be able to use it for a 4wd.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

there are two different 4x4 shafts that were used in the T-350 tranny.

The regular short shaft 4x4 unit that most folks have seen, and

For 1 or 2 years GM used a shaft that was a 6 inch tail housing 2wd shaft that was slightly shortened to fit a 208 trans-fer case with an adpater in between the tranny and transfer case.

I do not remember the years GM did this, I suspect it was the early 1980's since the 700R4 was in production too.

I would suggest a comparision some how to see if things will work
Old 07-16-2003, 06:15 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I guess they must have changed them after I quit doing trans(1984), because they used to have an output shaft that ended at about the end of the case where the tail housing attaches. There was a plate that attached in place of the tail housing, and the transfer case attached to that plate. The plate was also the mount for the transfer case. We used to always keep a couple of them on the shelf, ready to install, as 4x4's were the only thing that they would fit in.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally posted by adtkart
I guess they must have changed them after I quit doing trans(1984), because they used to have an output shaft that ended at about the end of the case where the tail housing attaches. There was a plate that attached in place of the tail housing, and the transfer case attached to that plate. The plate was also the mount for the transfer case. We used to always keep a couple of them on the shelf, ready to install, as 4x4's were the only thing that they would fit in.
yes GM did change them. The longer 4x4 shaft was used with the 208 transfer case. Not too many of them were used from what I have seen.

It is simply a 6 inch 2wd shaft that has been cut off slightly. It still has the hole for the speed_o gear clip!

Tony
Old 07-17-2003, 05:17 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

That's one of the things that I like about this board. There is always someone that makes me feel older by pointing out the changes that I have missed over the years.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.