Hot Rod Forum banner

3/32" orbit DA with professional results Possible for Color sanding?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  milo 
#1 ·
I've been painting instruments full time for around 7 years now and I've enjoyed it.

And... I've found it's a good idea to listen to auto body guys when it comes to paint. And I figured what better place to get the opinions of AutoBody men than well... Here!

So here's my question. Around 2 years ago I finally bought a big compressor for the shop and with a big compressor comes air sanders. When I bought what I'm using now (a Dyna silver supreme 3/32" orbit) I chose it with a small orbit for final wood sanding and level sanding paint/primer. I use 220 dry for the sealer (primer) and 320 to get the final clear almost level. Then I go level using wet/dry paper. Then I buff. I usually wet sand using the DA and Klingspor brand wet/dry to 600 or 800 grit. I have some pretty aggressive wheels I use to get the swirls from the DA out but it's taking too long.

That's why I ask if it's possible to color sand with a DA? I almost wonder if my old way with a block was better and maybe faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.