3-4 clutch pack burn-up 4L60E - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

In most situations the 5 extra spring sets in the 3-4 clutch pack are junk when removed from a 4l60e that has burned the clutch pack up.

If setup properly a new set of these springs work well in daily driver applications. If you worry about the springs being too stiff and affect clutch apply, remove one spring from each retainer. The 3-2 down shift is a bit cleaner with the springs installed

It is a good idea to reduce the height of the retainer to provide additional clearance in the clutch pack so these spring retainers do not block the pressure plates from compressing fully.

In a drag race 4l60 the 3-4 spring sets are usually left out. In most cases the builder uses a different clutch pack configuration of pressure plates and frictions, so the 5 OEM 3-4 spring setups will not function.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 02:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scnd70 View Post
Did you reinstall the 5 3-4 "load release springs"? If so, you'll have repeated 33-4 failures. What was the clearance set at? What clutches and steels did you use? Did you air check the 3-4's through the pump? Teflon input shaft rings? Worn inside pump stator/stator bushings? Did you install a new 3-4 accumulator piston in the case, or atleast check the pin wobble in the old one? Worn boost valve sleeve? Is the band burnt, too? Is the converter clutch locking up?

Frank
hey bud you seem to know what your talking about im having probs with my 95 gmc sierra shifting out of 2nd at around 25mph it will just slip didnt know if you could help me out or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scnd70 View Post
You'll NEVER have an issue leaving the load release springs out. However, you can run into issues when reinstalling them. Hydramatics theory was that the 3=4 clutches are trying to centrifically apply at higher RPM's, which is BS. It was GM's attempt at putting a Band Aid on a bullet wound. The 5 sets of springs force the top and bottom pressure plates apart when the clutches aren't applied. The problem is, fluid pressure can't overcome these springs quick enough to put full clamping force on the clutches. I have 4L60E's running high 9's at over 140 NPH and many being shifted above 7000 RPM's. I have NEVER reinstalled load release springs since 1993 which is when I thought ALL builders learned their lesson, but apparently not. I don't have 3-4 clutch failures in my '60E's...Even after years in 12,11,10,and even 9 second cars.
Now, the reason I left this board once before was because of other "builders" arguing facts. I'm not going to subscribe to all the sensless pissing contests this time. I've SPECIALIZED in 4L60E transmissions since 1993. I know them inside out and upside down. I've done things with these transmissionsthat most only dream of. If the other "builders" here would pay more attention, instead of arguing or trying to prove me wrong, they might actually learn something. As I said, I'm not here to argue, so I'll put it simple... If you disagree with my theories or build practices, atleast be able to show me a 4L60E that you've built that runs faster than 9.7 @ 142 MPH, and has lasted for 7 years, or one being shifted at 7200 RPM's. I'm sure there are people out there who would argue with the way Rick Hendricks engine shop builds engines... Those are the guys not winning championships...LOL

Frank
I have been leaving out the load release springs on every rebuild I have done so far and have not had one come back for a burnt 3-4 clutch. My 3-4 clutch setup that I have came up with is a mixture of parts that allows 8 clutches in the 3-4 pack and gives about .040 clearance.

#7 apply ring
AC Delco stepped apply plate
friction .062 High Energy
thick steel .106 Kolene
thin steel .060 Kolene
thin steel .060 Kolene
thick steel .106 Kolene
thin steel .060 Kolene
thin steel .060 Kolene
thick steel .106 Kolene
Thin top pressure plate .157 I think
Thin snap ring .063

I have this in my personal truck and pull a 26 foot camper with it. Never a problem.
Most of the 60E's I have built have went into tow vehicles. I have never had one come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.