3-4 clutch pack burn-up 4L60E - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 10
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3-4 clutch pack burn-up 4L60E

i rebuilt this trans a little over a year ago and its back ,the first time i built this trans (bench unit) it went about 50 miles and burnt up 3-4 clutch pack i tore this thing back down went throught it and reset it up again i found the valve in the 1-2 accumilator bushing had stuck. fixed that and rebuilt trans again ,now a year later its back same thing 3-4 clutch pack burnt up. went back through it again but i see no apparent problems,looking for some suggestions i may have missed? ive rebuilt several of these with no problems. the owner said he was driving it and started see smoke out the back of the truck and so he pulled over and checked fluid it was very low so put fluid in it and drove on home by the time he got home he had no 3-4 gear . not throwing any codes.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 10
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also should add i find no apparent leaks anywhere and trans was full when i recieved vehicle at shop. looking for some major componets to really look at or things to look for . im not a shop just helping a friend out .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2011, 06:53 PM
joshp83's Avatar
owner of Prices Garage
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: west virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 328
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
700

what yr is it what is it in
did u replace the seperator plate with a transgo one if not u need to the transgo plat works on all valve bodies the factorty plates must be matched to the origional valve body / did u replace the boost valve and rev boost valve in the pump / tv linkage if using a holley or afb carb must be set properly with aftermarket linkage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 PM
tnsmith10's Avatar
when will it rain???
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: where its very dry and dusty
Age: 43
Posts: 1,297
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bink32
i rebuilt this trans a little over a year ago and its back ,the first time i built this trans (bench unit) it went about 50 miles and burnt up 3-4 clutch pack i tore this thing back down went throught it and reset it up again i found the valve in the 1-2 accumilator bushing had stuck. fixed that and rebuilt trans again ,now a year later its back same thing 3-4 clutch pack burnt up. went back through it again but i see no apparent problems,looking for some suggestions i may have missed? ive rebuilt several of these with no problems. the owner said he was driving it and started see smoke out the back of the truck and so he pulled over and checked fluid it was very low so put fluid in it and drove on home by the time he got home he had no 3-4 gear . not throwing any codes.
from what i see what you wrote, id be looking at possibly either a restriction in cooler flow, or inadequate cooling for the trans. id say the smoke was coming from the trans venting fluid, not leaking.
also, with repetitive 3-4 clutch burn up id be looking at the clearance the 3-4 clutches were set at and, make sure theres no leakage in the input drum on the 3-4 circuit.
next, id hook up a line pressure gauge hooked up along with a scan tool to make sure that the EPC solenoid is working correctly and giving proper line pressure, and has proper line rise.
and last, make sure tcc is working properly, without it, your building up heat which can lead to venting, which can lead to fluid loss, which can lead to clutch pack/transmission failure. see where im going with this???
on average, you going to want to see maybe 50 rpm slip or less with 60% or less duty cycle on the tcc during command.
hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 175
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you reinstall the 5 3-4 "load release springs"? If so, you'll have repeated 33-4 failures. What was the clearance set at? What clutches and steels did you use? Did you air check the 3-4's through the pump? Teflon input shaft rings? Worn inside pump stator/stator bushings? Did you install a new 3-4 accumulator piston in the case, or atleast check the pin wobble in the old one? Worn boost valve sleeve? Is the band burnt, too? Is the converter clutch locking up?

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: indiana
Posts: 6
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3-4 Load Release Springs

10sec70 - please tell us more. You asked - "Did you reinstall the 5 3-4 "load release springs"? If so, you'll have repeated 3-4 failures."

I'm following this thread because my 4L60e is failing for the third time too - I would describe similar symptoms. I assume from your statement that these springs should be left out during reassembly?? I don't know if the tranny guy who rebuilt mine knows this, and would like to understand the reason.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2011, 05:56 PM
tnsmith10's Avatar
when will it rain???
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: where its very dry and dusty
Age: 43
Posts: 1,297
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred stockberge
10sec70 - please tell us more. You asked - "Did you reinstall the 5 3-4 "load release springs"? If so, you'll have repeated 3-4 failures."

I'm following this thread because my 4L60e is failing for the third time too - I would describe similar symptoms. I assume from your statement that these springs should be left out during reassembly?? I don't know if the tranny guy who rebuilt mine knows this, and would like to understand the reason.

Thanks!
i call it builder preference. i have in the past re-installed the load release springs without a problem, plus several other builders i know put them back in as well (although modified by grinding on the springs just a touch so the load springs dont bind before the 3-4 clutches are fully applied.)
one works for a shop that has a standard 3 year, 50,000 mile warranty on domestic, and 2 year, 24,000 on imports and, its not a national chain shop and, his units last without a problem.
clearance on the 3-4 clutches are critical as well, i set mine anywhere from .015-.025 for factory replacement and to manufacturers specs on aftermarket.

Last edited by tnsmith10; 12-03-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 175
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll NEVER have an issue leaving the load release springs out. However, you can run into issues when reinstalling them. Hydramatics theory was that the 3=4 clutches are trying to centrifically apply at higher RPM's, which is BS. It was GM's attempt at putting a Band Aid on a bullet wound. The 5 sets of springs force the top and bottom pressure plates apart when the clutches aren't applied. The problem is, fluid pressure can't overcome these springs quick enough to put full clamping force on the clutches. I have 4L60E's running high 9's at over 140 NPH and many being shifted above 7000 RPM's. I have NEVER reinstalled load release springs since 1993 which is when I thought ALL builders learned their lesson, but apparently not. I don't have 3-4 clutch failures in my '60E's...Even after years in 12,11,10,and even 9 second cars.
Now, the reason I left this board once before was because of other "builders" arguing facts. I'm not going to subscribe to all the sensless pissing contests this time. I've SPECIALIZED in 4L60E transmissions since 1993. I know them inside out and upside down. I've done things with these transmissionsthat most only dream of. If the other "builders" here would pay more attention, instead of arguing or trying to prove me wrong, they might actually learn something. As I said, I'm not here to argue, so I'll put it simple... If you disagree with my theories or build practices, atleast be able to show me a 4L60E that you've built that runs faster than 9.7 @ 142 MPH, and has lasted for 7 years, or one being shifted at 7200 RPM's. I'm sure there are people out there who would argue with the way Rick Hendricks engine shop builds engines... Those are the guys not winning championships...LOL

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mo
Posts: 148
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
the atsg manual that I have says to leave em out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 175
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpete
the atsg manual that I have says to leave em out...
The manuals have told us this for years now. The problem is, too many people were still having 3-4 clutch issues, so a few "geniuses" thought it was because of the springs, so they started reinstalling them...Instead of trying to figure out what else they were doing wrong...

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2011, 11:29 AM
tnsmith10's Avatar
when will it rain???
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: where its very dry and dusty
Age: 43
Posts: 1,297
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scnd70
You'll NEVER have an issue leaving the load release springs out. However, you can run into issues when reinstalling them. Hydramatics theory was that the 3=4 clutches are trying to centrifically apply at higher RPM's, which is BS. It was GM's attempt at putting a Band Aid on a bullet wound. The 5 sets of springs force the top and bottom pressure plates apart when the clutches aren't applied. The problem is, fluid pressure can't overcome these springs quick enough to put full clamping force on the clutches. I have 4L60E's running high 9's at over 140 NPH and many being shifted above 7000 RPM's. I have NEVER reinstalled load release springs since 1993 which is when I thought ALL builders learned their lesson, but apparently not. I don't have 3-4 clutch failures in my '60E's...Even after years in 12,11,10,and even 9 second cars.
Now, the reason I left this board once before was because of other "builders" arguing facts. I'm not going to subscribe to all the sensless pissing contests this time. I've SPECIALIZED in 4L60E transmissions since 1993. I know them inside out and upside down. I've done things with these transmissionsthat most only dream of. If the other "builders" here would pay more attention, instead of arguing or trying to prove me wrong, they might actually learn something. As I said, I'm not here to argue, so I'll put it simple... If you disagree with my theories or build practices, atleast be able to show me a 4L60E that you've built that runs faster than 9.7 @ 142 MPH, and has lasted for 7 years, or one being shifted at 7200 RPM's. I'm sure there are people out there who would argue with the way Rick Hendricks engine shop builds engines... Those are the guys not winning championships...LOL

Frank
wow man, everybody is entitled to their opinion, you dont need to come in here acting like a know-it-all. everybody does things different. the main purpose here is to try and help, not bash.
its not always a matter of who is right or wrong but, trying to help give as much info or help that can help fix someones problem. so youre a specialist on the 4l60e, great, the site can use your help.
fast cars and having a 700/4l60e in them that stays together is cool but, not all of these trans are getting put on the strip and on factory rebuilds, its quite possible to build these units with the load release springs installed and they last.
as i mentioned in my prior post, i have a close friend of mine who puts them back in on every build and his trannys live well past the 3 year/50,000 mile warranty. so, its different than what you would do, it doesnt mean its wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 AM
123pugsy's Avatar
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?
 
Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Markham,ON
Age: 52
Posts: 2,401
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks: 468
Thanked 279 Times in 241 Posts
The ATSG 4L60E Update Handbook states that you may re-use the 3-4 release springs if you're using the .106" thick
steel plates along with the 7605 Borg Warner high energy lined plates. Of coarse the one piece apply plate must be maintained along with the proper backing plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2011, 11:45 PM
joshp83's Avatar
owner of Prices Garage
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: west virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 328
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
one thing ive leaned no 2 tranny rebuilders build one exactally the same we all have our tricks and mods if it work you get the same results i leared and still learn alot from reading and talking to other mechanics and the ones i see that think they know more and dont keep up on the info are the ones that have combacks more frequently i used to work with a guy like that but back to the 4l60 as for the springs i use them but i set my cleaence under .25 i like about .10 when there that tight the spring help keep them apart i ask in a ealier post is the tv cable coreect being a bench job u need to find out how the cable is mounted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 175
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshp83
one thing ive leaned no 2 tranny rebuilders build one exactally the same we all have our tricks and mods if it work you get the same results i leared and still learn alot from reading and talking to other mechanics and the ones i see that think they know more and dont keep up on the info are the ones that have combacks more frequently i used to work with a guy like that but back to the 4l60 as for the springs i use them but i set my cleaence under .25 i like about .10 when there that tight the spring help keep them apart i ask in a ealier post is the tv cable coreect being a bench job u need to find out how the cable is mounted
A 4L60E doesn't have a cable. If you set your 3-4's up with that little clearance in the 3-4's, they will last about 3 days in grandmas vehicle, let alone anything performance. I'll tell you what I'll do. You PM your info and I'll buy a 4L60E from you. You set your 3-4's up with .010" clearance, and I'll put it in a truck that pulls a car trailer.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 AM
joshp83's Avatar
owner of Prices Garage
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: west virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 328
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
correct about the cable i dont know why i didnt see the e at the end off the 4l60 in the post
but ive never had a problem with 3-4 burn up in a 700 or 4l60e i use the thick steels ive built them for trucks vettes fbodies i give u none of them were 10sec cars. i check the clearence then make sure i slide the plantary in it a make sure it will turn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3-4 Clutch Pack Question ? old yukon Transmission - Rearend 2 02-09-2011 11:09 AM
700R4 Clutch Pack Air Check mican99 Transmission - Rearend 2 04-19-2008 07:53 AM
700r4 Low/Reverse Clutch Pack 123pugsy Transmission - Rearend 2 12-29-2007 08:31 AM
700R4 clutch pack air check question jws Transmission - Rearend 10 05-08-2007 08:23 PM
700r4 forward clutch pack Caesar_Mikey Transmission - Rearend 2 04-17-2005 12:51 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.