Hot Rod Forum banner

3.8 olds engine idles good but stumbles when revved

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  fumplet 
#1 ·
Hello I am going to purchase a 1992 olds 88........the car idles good but when I rev the engine, it will rev up but stumbles or develops a good miss like cylinders are dropping out...when the engine speed stablizes and reaches the speed at which I have the throttle open, it smooths out, its just when I gas it, the dropping cylinders occurs......I did notice the engine light was on for a while so I checked codes.........has a 41 which is cam sensor..........how does a cam sensor affect performance. I have never had a vehicle with a cam sensor so I dont know.............I know the 4 cylinder crank sensors will stop a motor from running..........It wont do it as bad, or at all if I open the throttle slowly or slow enough not to make it stumble

#2 ·
The cam...

sensor tells the engine where it is in the firing
order, along with the crank sensor, the computer
will tell the coil for the appropriate cylinders to
fire...

You could be looking at a couple different things
to fix it, the sensor it self, or you may be losing
the timing chain...

K

#3 ·
timing chain?

well I can do a timing chain...........how would I check for a timing chain going bad?..........will the timing chain ruin the motor? if it goes.......I know some of the belted motors will damage the valves.....I dont think a timing chain on one of these would be too hard, anything different on this one that might give me a hard time?.......you might be right about the chain......as I did hear something when I let the throttle go........I heard what I thought was a rattleing noise, but not real bad or loud.....do these motors have a solid chain and sprockets or do they have that stupid nylon covered metal sprocket

#4 ·
anyone know peticulars about 3.8 olds engines losing timing chain

bates_k said:
sensor tells the engine where it is in the firing
order, along with the crank sensor, the computer
will tell the coil for the appropriate cylinders to
fire...

You could be looking at a couple different things
to fix it, the sensor it self, or you may be losing
the timing chain...

K
Does anyone have experience with the 3.8 I am buying?........is it hard to change, will it ruin the motor if it breaks..........I think it does have to do with timing since it dawned on me today, when revved up, it sounds exactly like the new revv limiters in the newer cars when you max out the throttle, the engine runs quits runs quits, only this engine will do it as soon as you hit the gas quickly

#5 ·
does anyone know how to check a 3.8 cam sensor

Hello does anyone know how to check a cam sensor?.......my book doesnt say **** about them.............kinda sucks to have to go out and buy a new one at autozone which I cant stand........for 32 bucks just to see if the sensor is bad.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.