Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

3.8 in s10?

47K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  joe_padavano 
#1 ·
I been wondering how well would a 3.8 be in a s10 say from like a 90s camaro. I know I talk about a 350 before I really dont want some really bad on gas like a v8 would be so I been thinking for more of a prep up v6 I know the 4.3 is what alot of people do but I like something different actually what I really want is a sin in alot of people eyes I would love a 4.0 ford in it lol thanks

#2 ·
You talk about a gas miser, then pop in there about the gas hog 4.0L Ford
A 350 in an S10 will get well over 20 MPG if you keep your foot out of it.. RWD 3.8L's only came in Camaro's and the FWD 3.8L's won't work in a RWD arrangement. They are different blocks..

Yes a Camaro 3.8 with an Eaton supercharger would be cool, but it's still going to have less hp than a SBC and still get about the same MPG.

#5 ·
How hard would a 4.3 fuel injected be? I am only want around 200 to 250hp I'm not wanting A lot I'm wanting more to go on long trips 3 hours plus so I'm not wanting a v8 but I dont want the 2.8 that in it enough. I Don't think a 3.8 out of a old f-body would be that hard to find around here my mother had the 3.8 in her pontiac grand prix it was fwd but that was a great little engine. How would a 3.4 be I dont know anything about that other then I think its sohc I might be mistaken thanks

#13 ·
The guy that does exhaust work for me swapped a fwd series1 3800 into an S10. When I asked, he said the swap was "no big deal" FWIW.
Problem with the s/c 3800 swap is that the throttle body ends up against the firewall when set to a rwd configuration.

My last V8 (350 sbc) S10 would get 17.8 mpg at 70 mph if I leaned out the carb jetting (would drive it 80 miles each way to work). Comp 292h cam, 700r4, 4:11s, and a 26" tire. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see mid 20s with an EFI motor and more conservative cam and gearing.

#14 ·
The guy that does exhaust work for me swapped a fwd series1 3800 into an S10. When I asked, he said the swap was "no big deal" FWIW.
Problem with the s/c 3800 swap is that the throttle body ends up against the firewall when set to a rwd configuration.
Yes, that unfortunately is a problem due to the integral TB on the Eaton. I've seen some people duct the TB to the cowl to take advantage of the cowl induction.

#16 ·
Certianly doable, but what I would do is a 4.8L LS engine from a '99-'01 Chevy 1/2 ton. Build the harness from the donor truck into a standalone and have it programmed. Those engines can be found for $5-600 with harness and ECU. get something with a trans and your still in less than $1k with a 4.8L.. They are the least desirable LS engine due to the small displacement but, 295hp still nothing to laugh at especially putting it into an S10. Gaurentee that you will break well over 20 MPG

#21 ·
And FYI, the box that comes with that kit is NOT programmable as is the separately purchased MSD 6010/6012 box. Yes, it uses pills, but no, you cannot build a tune and upload it, nor does it have MAP capabilities or two-step rev limiter...

Russ

#28 ·
If you start with the 195 HP rated CPI engine such as came in the 94, S-10, add a good exhaust, a set of pulleys and a chip and you are at 250+ and you don't go any further into the engine than the thermostat.

I worked in the Shreveport GM plant and from time to time the factory racing teams would be in the plant. They used to run a off road class with the 4.3, S-10 where the engines had to be factory stock that actually had to be pulled from production. I used to talk to the guys that built the trucks and was told that the first thing they would do was put the motors on a dyno then they would pull them down and do a full blueprint on them. Was told that the average HP straight off the line was right at 225 with a few just over 230 and 270+ after the blueprint/tweaking they were allowed to do to them.

#29 ·
another possibility is using a bigger newer 60* V6. A LX9 is somewhat popular. Will have mount and accessory drive issues but all can be dealt with.
3.5 and great gas mileage.
Physically same size as your 2.8.
4.3 is not known for getting decent gas mileage. I had one and I liked it but it never got good MPG's.

Look at 60degree.com for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.