Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 3 inch stroke motor project, rod ratio, and mpg
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Bold As Love

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolover
And this false assumption is part of why your idea won't work.

A 400sbc making 75hp at 2000 RPM will be operating more efficiently (consuming less fuel) than a 300sbc making 75hp operating at 2700 RPM.

Where do you get this stuff turbolover?!? On what basis is your logic? There sure are alot of variables possible there...

4100 rpms is what I have to work with. I am building it backwards, granted I believe you all when you say I should change the rear end ratio and/or add overdrive and keep my 454. But thats not what Im going to do. I think it will be more fun to build a motor meant for 4100 rpms. I better hang onto this 454 in case I change my mind tho... This stuff is just fun for me, switching motors, playing around.. I needed an excuse to build this motor I been planning for years, this is as good as any. I wish I would have never sold my el camino tho.

Adan,
Ford 300 straight 6 is a terrible engine, was a truck engine, and had a bad rod ratio. The 240 six was the same block, had a great rod ratio, and got decent fuel economy. I had a 1973 3/4 ton ford van with a 240 cid when I turned 16 years old, it was my first vehicle! I thought it was super cool. My dad and I went to KY from Florida one year, me following him in his new at the time ford areo star p.o.s. van. We gassed up at the same time and he was keeping track of the mileage. It turns out my big old van averaged about 20 mpg at 60-65 mph, the best he managed was 16-18 mpg with all that fancy efi, overdrive and new v6 engine! He had some people and coolers and crap in his, but I had stuff in mine too, and I promise I weighed more in my van than he in his! Then later on about 6 years ago, I got me a 1992 ford econoline with 300 cid with fuel injection. I worked on it trying to help mpg, and it ran great but never ever got better than 12mpg!! Maybe that old van was a fluke I dunno