$3 Million Ridler car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: $$$ High Dollar Rods influence on the industry.
Great for the industry !!!!! 30 62.50%
Does not change the industry. 5 10.42%
Bad for the industry !!!!! 13 27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 12:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

$3 Million Ridler car

I see it hitting the other boards and I love it, Tucci Engineering has been busting their *** on that car. Those guys have years of work on that thing, its about time. I guess when money is not an object you can have a Ridler built for you, right? Good Luck guys, cant wait to see it finished, you guys deserve it. Godspeed.

I'll see you guys again next year in Louisville.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Bet the "Rat Rodders" wont like it........................

Got a link?

Budget RVs
Old 11-21-2006, 01:32 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

Not really a Rat rodder, but I don't like it an I've never seen it. It seems to me that there are a lot better uses for 3 mill than to build a car that serves no purpose except for a trophy for somebody that did nothing other than get their checkbook out.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

It's just a piece of metal. Our generation will be known for watching a whole continent burn up in flames (Africa) while we're standing around with buckets full of water but instead we use the water to build $3 million cars I dont get it. Save a few thousand lives with that amount of money or buy a shiny piece of metal. Earthly treasures only last as long as you live right. I wouldnt pay $3million for anything that only lasts about 75 years.

Mike
Old 11-21-2006, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

18 year old idealistic guys should be in the Peace Corps helping folks in Africa.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67
18 year old idealistic guys should be in the Peace Corps helping folks in Africa.
Or in university working on a degree in International Development Studies so they can have a longer lasting impact than working in the Peace Corps, by policy making

Mike
Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
Or in university working on a degree in International Development Studies so they can have a longer lasting impact than working in the Peace Corps, by policy making

Mike
Good one. Just remember politicians make policy and they don't move fast.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:49 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
Good one. Just remember politicians make policy and they don't move fast.

If it doesn't move fast - chrome it
Old 11-21-2006, 11:30 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

I cant see 3 Mil in a car even if I dug up the iron ore, cast and machined the parts my self. I think its all about bragging and arrogance of the owners to outdo the others in a weak attempt to build their own self esteem. I'm not familiar with this particular car, just some (very few) of the people I have met at car shows can be this way. I could build 300 cars at $10,000 each for that kind of money. Or even 150 at $20,000.

I agree with nightfire... 3mil is outrageous and a waste IMO.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:00 AM

Last photo:

Unless they made the tooling to mass produce some of the parts I don't see $3,000,000 of work.

Bragging about the price of the car in this case does not enhance the appeal of the vehicle. I hope it will be judged on its design and innovation merit and not its sticker price.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:13 AM

Last photo:

Don't the cars have to be selected to the "Great 8" after they arrive at Cobo Hall? Is there a chance this car might not even make the cutoff?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:41 AM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I think it is a beautiful car, but worthless at the same time. I would be scared to even start the car, much less drive the thing.

Jason
Old 11-22-2006, 07:12 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

You guys can feed the world if ya want. I will feed MY family, and dump my 3 million in my car. (Thats if I had the extra 3 million. I'm about 2,999,999.99 short) I'm sick of paying for everyone else.

Pretty precocious to tell someone how to spend their own money Mike. And pretty naive to the ways of the world.

1.) If a guy has that much $$ to dump in a car, he undoubtedly gets creamed in taxes, so he's doing more than his share to start with. At 55% total tax rate, he works till July before any of his cash is really his. Compare that to 25% of the average guy (at least in the States). He probably already donates tons to charity as a write off, as well.

2.) These guys will invest 3 million in a car, but they get every penny back when they are done, between the revenue the car appearances produce, and the sale price of the vehicle.

3.) If he is smart and hasn't already done so, he will form a business, so that he can use it as a rightoff. With the capital it takes, I'm sure he is savvy enough to hire an accountant for guidance.
Its not $1.00 saved per $1.00 spent, but at least its something. He'll save whatever percentage his tax rate is.

4.) They are sustaining great car builders like Tucci, Foose, Trepanier, etc.
It takes money to produce perfect paint jobs, perfect metalwork. You won't be buying a craftsman for the same wage as the local Quick Fill attendent. When JUST the cost of paint is well over $5,000.00, then add in a thousand hours or so for blocking the car dead flat. This stuff is ART and CRAFTSMANSHIP. Until you try to produce a PERFECT paint job, you won't understand. When one run means a whole new strip/block/spray. These guys are not satisfied with what WE consider perfect. The underside paint MUST be perfect. Every single detail MUST be perfect. To get in the Great 8 is an awesome feat.

Design- Where in Syracuse?
Old 11-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Opinions are like SBC's, everybody has one and everybody thinks theirs is the best. I was never telling anyone how to spend their money, I was merely pointing out that I dont think a piece of metal (no matter how perfect) should ever be worth that much, or that anyone should ever spend that much money on it when there are far better ways of spending it.
It disgusts me to think that someone would actually butter that much money into a piece of sheet metal. It doesnt even get you from point A to B, in fact the owner has to drive it in a trailer from point A to B
And Homebrew, I know what you mean, thats why I think there needs to be a radical change in the way some of the trade policies etc. are being made

Mike
Old 11-23-2006, 05:18 PM

They build these cars because there is obviously a market for them. If nobody built them them then there would be no trends.

As for the price, it is very easy for these vehicles to rocket into the millions. thousands of hours, 4-5 guys fabricating, at a metalworking shop rate of most likely $150/hr. These are no different than a concept car.

If you created tooling for these cars to mass produce you are looking at around $100 Million, ask Ford about their GT supercar. The avarage price to have a single concept car built for you is around $4-5 Million. Talk to Gaffoglio Family Metalcrafters in CA.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.